Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel bad for all of you having problems with the 650. I haven't had not even one hint of a problem yet, it seems to be one the best quads I have ever owned. I wonder how much of the quad is put together when the dealer gets them in, I assume everything except handle bars,wheels and axle is already together, if not the problem could be in the dealers. It looks like it is a 50/50 split with people that has problems and people that has no problems. I hope all of you can get the problems fixed and ride,because paying over 6,000 for one it shouldn't have no problems and that goes for any quad,also a 3yr warranty should be standard not extra. Just what I think.

Old 01-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

I agree Trailhog. I'm exercising my patience with the shop. I did purchase an extended warranty, primarily for the type transmission. I'm optimistict that satisfactory repairs will be made. I really like the machine and can honestly say it's the best I've ever owned.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Banned

Hi Preacherman,

Thank you for the information about the 4WD. Now I made my decision to wait for the 2003 modelsBy then Kawasaki should have most of the bugs ironed out.

IronBear

Old 01-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

I too am having that problem with one of mine. It wont go into four wheel drive at all. We tore it down to the bone and just about figured out what the problem. It is in the electrical or in the speed sensor, my brother and my dad have had no problems in there 650's. Their's has to reach 1mph to engage. We would take parts of and try them in my dads and have not found the problem yet. If anyone knows which little engine is the speed sensor I would like to know. It is not getting power to the 2wd/4wd switch. The little engine in the front dif. will work on the other 650's so we know it is not that. There seems to be no problem at all with the other 2 Prairies, when the tires turn at least 4ft. at 1 mph it is activated. I think this is what should happen since there is a speed sensor, it goes into 2wd immedently when you push the button. I would rather work on it myself than take it to a dealer that has never seen this four wheel drive set up before at all. If anyone has some info please let me know. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Old 01-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

650mudrider,

You should of bought a Polaris.......lol. I'll see if I can find anything on that speed sensor we looked at. If it isn't there, then a wire must be broken/shorted.

Waylan

Old 08-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I was searching though old posts to see if anyone is having the same problem I am, and I see that at least a couple of people have. My Prairie won't go into 4WD at all anymore. One day it worked fine, and after a few weeks of sitting, it's gone. I checked the actuator, and everything inside it works perfectly - no mechanical problems and no electrical problems with the position sensor or the motor inside the actuator itself (it's a good thing, since the actuator costs $230!). I also checked the 2WD/4WD switch on the handlebars, and that's fine as well.

One thing I did notice is that the normal whirring noise that normally comes from the actuator for a few seconds after you turn off the key doesn't happen anymore.

Has anyone who's had this problem finally resolved it, and if so, what was the exact cause?

Old 08-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Check and doublecheck your fuses. Make sure the contacts are clean.

Old 08-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

I took out the KEBC fuse out under the seat to see how it went, it will not go into 4wd with this fuse out or blowed and the KEBC motor will not work either. The fuse is labled E/G brk control, red 10amp fuse under the seat.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

Fuses! Ah, now there's an idea! Start with something simple first, and then move onto the more complex stuff. Unfortunately I tried the complex stuff first.

I'm a couple of hundred miles away from my ATV right now and will be for a couple of weeks, but I'll check the fuses when I get back. Thanks for the help, guys.

If anyone's got any other ideas for me to try when I get back just in case the fuses are OK, feel free to chime in.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

The fuses can be fine, but the contacts can be dirty........causing the same problem as a blown fuse. Take the fuses and put them in and out........several times to make sure they're making good contact.