Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 - Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the collective, I'm shopping for a new ATV. Choices are between Rubicon, Vinson, AC500I, and Praire650. Prices seem to be within a few hundred dollars of each other, but I am leaning towards the 650. However, after following some of the 650 threads they seem to be having more than usual reliability issues. Are 650 owners happy with their choice? I know all brands come with their ups and downs, but can anyone comment on their personal experience with the 650 and or any of the other listed choices. Thanks for your insight.

Old 01-24-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

You need to remember that the majority of people post on these boards looking for help so your bound to get posts talking about problems or upgrades. I know over the past year I havent sat down very often and written a post about how well my quad is running and how great everything is working. As with any ATV and more so with new models there will be problems. I havent heard of a manufacturer that makes the perfect quad just yet. I have only the best things to say about both of my quads and maybe that makes me the lucky one but I'm sure that most would agree that almost any quad that is not beaten and maintained well will perform for a very long time.

I think my 650 is an excellent quad for me and I have been fortunate that I havent had any problems other than a adjustment to the shift linkage.

My advise to you would be to ride each of the quads your considering and go on your own opinions of what you like best. If you make this same post in each of the manufacturers forums your going to get a different answer depending upon where you post.

As far as my personal opinion on the ATVs you mentioned. If you can get any of those ATVs for about the same price the 650 has some definate and big advantages over the others.

Old 01-24-2002, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

No regrets at all. I agree with Scram500man.

Old 01-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

No regrets. No problems. I have never had so much fun with a quad.

Old 01-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hardest decisionyou have to make is Red or Green
As for me I wished I had one of each......Love Mine

Old 01-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

My only regret was not buying it sooner. It is just too much fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

GOT 200 MILES ON MINE AND IT HAS BEEN GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I have only had my machine for 2 days, and it is a GREAT quad so far. I did have to bring it in and get the shifter linkage adjusted, but so far so good. The response is awesome. No hesitation at all. Out of your choices, I would choose the 650 or Vinson. I have ridden both. Both have good rides, straight axle, and plenty of power. I think the brakes on the 650 are a bit better. The Vinson steers alot easier though. Out of the hole power, I choose the 650, but I will have to drive a Vinson again to make sure.

The problems you have been hearing are not reliability problems. It seems to me it is just people being a little picky and most of it is just adjustments or they should have their 10 hour servicing done. I agree, $6-7000 machine shouldn't have problems, but the truth is, all machines need adjustments after break in. All of the things I have heard are either being picky or there IS a fix or adjustment. I will know more the longer I have it. I guess time will tell.

One more thing>>> as far as I know, the 650 is the only out of your choices that has a locking front end.

Old 01-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

Have had some problems with my 650 but I have no real regrets in purchasing it. I've ridden others and the ride of the 650 is so smooth; and the auto trans makes it a piece of cake. The majority of folks I've corresponded with are happy with their 650 so I don't think you would be dissatisfied. Keep in mind that whatever type you get you're subject to have some kind of problem. With my luck, if 10,000 ATVs were sold and only one of them had a problems, I'd end up with that one. Go ride the Prairie 650, I think you'll like it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Roofer as I too am very picky about my expensive toys. I expect things to work 100% right or something "must" be done to fix it. I owned a 400 prairie before the 650 and it was bullet proof and although my 650 seems to have a few more quirks than the 400 these again are nit pick things.
1) I had my choke cable replaced and stiffer springs installed in the plungers.
2) My belt defelection had to be set.
These were both taken care of under warranty with no hassles and my quad has run perfect ever since.
Nothing beats the seat of the pants power rush you get when you open up the throttle but I also find I seldom have to open it up because it has SOOOOOO much power and torque.
So to make a long post short no I dont have any regrets.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 - Any Regrets?