Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie Closes ATVNEWS' poll and embarrasses editors

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you better check out a new site called the atv zone, the have the polaris way ahead in their poll and winner of atv of the year.

Old 02-03-2002, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well not to be a smart A$$, but i dont have to check any poles out becase i know what the best atv of the year is (long live the Prairie 650) and will be for a long time to come, this wasnt ment exactly at you robbieg, and i dont want to be a smart a$$ to you either ,its just the way i feel sir,its for every body to see,thanks

Old 02-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

if you look back at most of the test that where done. the grizzly still has placed higher in most test overall. and 90% of the time placing 1st in the high speed sport quad of the class.

Old 02-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

i can understand why the 700 took the trophy, but am not happy bout it. polaris has lead the industry for many years when it came to automatic 4x4 quads, but there time has come. the prarie is an ausome ride, as is the grizzly. when reading all the tests on the big quads, i would have to say the grizzly should have won. towing aside, the grizzly can do all the 700 can do, only better. the prarie is the fastest off the line, but is hampered by its suspencion.
the perfect quad!!! put the praries engine and diff locker on the grizzly frame and suspencion, then it will be on!!!heehee.
in my opinion, 1st place, the grizzly.
second place, the prarie.
third place, the 700 polaris.
for god sake, dont go off the deepend on this reply either, its just MY opinion, and thanks!

my pictures

Old 02-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I think the prairie wins, hands down, but I have already said why.

But, if there were no prairie, the 660 griz would easily be a better quad.

My friend has a 660 and a polaris.

He will never buy another polaris because of their crappy 4x4 system.

HE AND OTHER POLARIS OWNERS claim that the polaris 4x4 system is inferior because:

-Sometimes, it just plain does not engage and they get stuck, makes them cuss real loud. With the Prairie you can put it in 4x4 and you know it is in. Although I am a religeous man, I do not want to have "Faith" in the polaris "On Demand" system, hoping that the 4x4 will engage when I need it.

-Jerk. The polaris hubs sometimes don't disengage, and you hafta stop and back up. Sometimes the hub action grabs his steering real hard. This makes him cuss too.

-Speed limiter, since there is no front diff, polaris put speed limiters on to keep the 4x4 from engaging while going fast. People have gotten stuck because they were going too fast when they hit the muddy stuff. I can go 60 mph in 3x4 or 4x4 (although locking the front diff at that speed would be unsafe) if I need to, no other quad can do that.

-Trouble, the average polaris owner has to perform a lot more maintenance on the 4x4 system and the avergage polaris owner has a lot more 4x4 problems.

My grizzly friend and I both agree that the polaris 4x4 system is inferior. We enjoy the control we have, and the option of driving around in trouble free 3x4 mode, while I have the option of choosing 4x4 mode on the fly (sorry, griz 669, you have to stop).

I realize that some polaris owners may be happy with their quad. I just want to point out that the Prairie and 660 have far superior 4x4 systems. I just don't feel Polaris deserves ATV of the Year until they improve it.

-

Old 02-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

<< [i]i can understand why the 700 took the trophy, but am not happy bout it. polaris has lead the industry for many years when it came to automatic 4x4 quads, but there time has come. the prarie is an ausome ride, as is the grizzly. when reading all the tests on the big quads, i would have to say the grizzly should have won. towing aside, the grizzly can do all the 700 can do, only better. the prarie is the fastest off the line, but is hampered by its suspencion.
the perfect quad!!! put the praries engine and diff locker on the grizzly frame and suspencion, then it will be on!!!heehee.
in my opinion, 1st place, the grizzly.
second place, the prarie.
third place, the 700 polaris.
for god sake, dont go off the deepend on this reply either, its just MY opinion, and thanks!

I agree with you!

Old 02-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

kodiakrunner, now theres a man with some integrity, lol!!!

my pictures

Old 02-05-2002, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider

dirtwheels says different john paul.they said the better was the 650. they say the 660 had some good points, but for an overall fun sport quad it was the prairie.

stand back and let the big prairie dog eat...

Old 02-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Their choice was as stupid as the Polaris decison to leave out the fuel gauge on such an expensive vehicle. I know it seems minor but then that is exactly why it is such a big deal in my opinion. Such awards should go to those who have demonstrated engineering excellence. Leaving out the fuel gauge on your top-of-the-line vehicle is almost as bad as forgetting the on/off switch.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I put 6,399 votes ( $ ) on the Prairie back in August 2001. I have never been happier with a quad right out of the box. Before the Prairie, I had a &quot;legendary&quot; TRX 300 4X4 that I had to pipe, air filter and jet kit to run decently. Then I bought the Scrambler to satisfy my &quot;Need for Speed&quot; as you can see by my sig, it's had some work done to it as well, but I bought it specificly to mod out.
The only thing I've done to the Prairie is add a tree stand carrier for hunting season and Herculiner ( the cheap spray on type bedliner ) the front and rear racks to give them some protection. Other than that, box stock. Everyone that I allow to test ride it comes back with an ear to ear grin and can't say enough about how great the quad is.
I made the right choice for me.

Quick Reply: Prairie Closes ATVNEWS' poll and embarrasses editors