Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 vs. Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< When my 650 was new it would wheelie easy,now the rear tires are worn pretty bad with 170 miles,it won't wheelie now,just spins like crazy.I have never owned anything that would spin the tires so easy,in 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive. >>

I am in the same boat! LOL I'm probably getting some 27&quot; Gators in the next couple weeks.
As for the Griz wheelies. I have not ridden one, but I'm sure it doesn't wheelie as easily as the 650 because of the IRS and the 650 has more low end. If the Griz IRS is anything like the Polaris IRS, it really throws the &quot;Sport&quot; of the machine right out the window compared to what it could do with a straight axle. Where I ride there are lots of swamps and swamp grass. Have you ever seen an IRS machine after going through some swamp grass? I have and it isn't a pretty sight when the grass gets slowly tightened around the the CV axles in the rear and starts shredding the cv boots.

Old 02-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

hey ruby,
i have gotten my grizzly to wheely, but not as easy as the prarie will. the irs has a momentary lag in it while the rear suspencion tucks in. now, i am not saying it is a long lag, but it is there. it will wheely, but how it does it is kinda funny. if i am on cement, it is a pull job to get it to. but on gravel, or grass or what not, it is easier, lol. i guess the softer soils let the rearend tuck and go to full throttle. on the cement, it just tucks and goes. it comes up, but not streight up like i can get it too on gravel or sand, lol. i am firmly beleaving that is also why it looses to the prarie off the line. it seems every time i race one, i loose half a quad lenth off the line, only to slowly make it up on higher ends. hope i helped in your question!

my pictures

Old 02-24-2002, 10:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine won't wheelie off the throttle at all. I can get it up about 6&quot; with a pull. I guess if I really jerked it good I could get it to come up higher, but its not going to wheelie like the Prairie if what I hear is correct. Not much of a wheelie guy, but I won't lie to you either. Mine won't do it.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Mich660griz and Andy, I appreciate your honesty and I'm sure others here do too.

Old 02-25-2002, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, mine won't do it so I'm not going to sit here and try to say that it will.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

I don't find that my 650 kaw wheelies easy, either.It definately takes a pull to get the front end up

Old 02-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

not to sound dunb or anything, but how much do you guys weigh? i am 220 lbs, and by just sitting back on the seat, givving her a slight pull, as long as i am not on cement, it will go up. now, on cement, i have to give her a yank to get it up. maybe it is just my weight transferred to the back of the seat that helps out with it? i have found it much harder to try with the bigger tires i put on it though.

my pictures

Old 02-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I'm on pavement, it has a better chance. If I'm on dirt, the tires just spin out.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

Andy, put your 650 in low range, sit where you normally sit, get on a surface where you can get traction (preferably grass)and mash the throttle to the wide open position. It will not come up right away as what you're probably used to with other ATV's but it will come up and you will back off the throttle or you'll be scraping the back rack. Mine came up accidently when I did as I mentioned above. I couldn't beleive this heavy machine could bring the front end up. You'll probably go 10 to 15 feet before it lifts up but I think you'll be surprised. I'll watch for your reply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

mich660griz, the reason that the Prairie wheelies easier than the Grizz is because of the instant throttle response. There is virtually no lag when you hit the throttle on the Prairie from a standstill, but as you know, there is a hesitation when you hit the throttle on the Grizz. Since you still start moving during the &quot;lag time&quot;, you don't get that sudden jolt on the Grizz, which would make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 vs. Grizzly 660