Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV Magazine Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys here are some results from the ATV Magazine Shootout
Dyno Test
1.Kawasaki Prairie (KP)650 - 31.4 HP
2.Bombardier Quest (BQ)650 - 30.5 HP (Front Drive Shaft Unhooked so not accurate)(Front Driveshaft hooked = Less Ponies in the rear due to drag of front drivetrain)
3.Polaris 700 (PS)- 30.2 HP
4. Yamaha Grizzly (YG)660 - 29.8 HP
I don't put much stock in this Dyno Test because they were unhooking parts on a quad to test it, come on guys we're atvers not newborns you editors you.

Weight Transfer Sled
BQ - 171.6 FT
KP - 156.6 FT
PS - 156 FT
YG - 152.6

This magazine took every chance to cut on the YG and the KP but yet both seem to be kicking the guts out of everything in the real world. Maybe the editors ought to get out of Disney Land and ride on a real trail. They pump the BQ and PS every chance they get and are surpirsed in their test by the 500 class kicking in a making strong efforts. I need to count ads in this magazine and think about my renewal because they rank the real world quads 3rd and 4th and the shop hawks 1st and 2nd. Can you believe that they unhook a drive shaft to test the BQ and then remark when Kawasaki states there are stiffer springs for their Quad. Or how about giving an innovation award when we take a snowmobile engine and put it on a quad and not consider the chassis or other innovations that have went into the Vinson or the NEW ATV specific engine in the KP which by the way they state is possibly the best in the bunch. Or how about this one rank the lead sled PS as a strong hill climber and then state the riders preferred the KP during the trail riding. Do they ride flat trails there??? I'm confused their ATV of the year falls flat on its face and gets the ranking of ATV of the year in the same magazine. Help me here guys.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

They also say that the 650 breaking system has a free-wheel feeling...I have to give mine gas going down hill! I am not sure that they rode on hills!

Old 02-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I also noticed how they stated(a few times)that the 650 has a "decent" tranny, making it sound like it was the worst of the bunch. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but they just kinda seemed to be taking pokes at the 650's tranny. If it sucks, they should have said it did or atleast rank them or something instead of just kind of taking cheap shots. They also seemed to make strong referance to the 650's lack of IRS. It seemed obvious to me that they are in favor of IRS just the way ATV Action seems to prefer the swing arm type of the Prairie. With that having been said I thought they would have given Yamaha more praise, but I guess it is no coincidence that both Polaris and ATV Magazine are located in Minnesota[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2002, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you serious about the driveshaft thing? Have you ran machine on a dyno with the driveshaft taken off and then with it on to compare? Do you have the proof that the numbers would differ signifigantly?

Plus, the Polaris engine in the snowmobile is much larger and fuel-injected. And I think the Polaris fits the critera ATV mag set in its award, don't you. Everyone in the world still copies the original Sportsman -- including Yami and Kawi!

Dude, I don't mean to cut you down, but get your facts straight before coming in here and posting.

"I need to count ads in this magazine and think about my renewal..."

"...but I guess it is no coincidence that both Polaris and ATV Magazine are located in Minnesota."

Yeah, that must be why they named Polaris ATV of the year. Do you really think the magazines think we are that stupid. I just read the freaking editor's post stating that the whole ad thing is not true. I worked for my newspaper in college and the ad department and editoral department were seperated. It was almost an adversarial relationship. Wanna know why? Because everyone assumes ads determine editorial and therefore in college I had a responsibility to make sure that was never true. If everyone is assuming it happens that way, why would the editor take the time to defend his magazine. I never see Dirtwheels or 4WA doing that!

Don't mean to start anything. But someone has to defend those guys. I like reading the rags! Even if it doesn't mean much when I'm in the showroom.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Nappy...Did you read this magazine? They did not even rank the 650 as the top Sport/Util of the year. They ranked the Vinson as this and it is a good quad but it is less sporty and not as strong of a worker as the 650. ATV Magazine takes care of its advertisers but hey, I guess they do pay the bills! LOL.

Old 02-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

Dang, so according to these figures the 633cc kawi makes more HP than the 688cc Slowaris... It could actually compete with the kawi if it wasn't so fat... same thing with the girlie-overweight quest. What is the sense in using an inline twin? Isn't the whole idea of a quad to push and pull things? The polaris guys musta been using the finest afgani heroin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Imagine a 688cc Kawi V!-Twin yikes, almost too much power... On the other hand I'd like to see the Grizzly 998 next to the R1 and RX-1.

And now to the Vinson hmm... well let's see it's a nice overall package but it is in the 500cc class the Griz, Prairie and Slowlaris are in their own class way ahead of the Vinson. It would just be hard to spend 7 grand on something that should be selling for 5.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys~
Maybe there something seriously wrong with the size "650". Although I did not read the article about the Kawi, it sounds like it was unnecessarily bashed. Same thing happened in the latest big bore sport shootout. The Baja DS650 ranked first in like 4 out of 8 categories yet still placed 4th out of 5 quads(superior only to Banshee). Raptor took 1st, cannondale 2nd, and 400ex 3rd. Funny that Yamaha also has the most ads in that issue also. Coincidence? Probably. Just thought I would point that out eventhough it is totally irrelevent to the Kawi.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

NappyRider
Yes I am serious about the driveshaft thing. I am a certified mechanic and I know my Dyno runs. I have three 4 wheel drive trucks and on the Dyno let me give a for instance My Chevrolet will make 531HP in 2 WD and 526 in 4 WD. So Nappy learn about the laws of resistance before cutting me OK I know. My Ford in 2 WD makes 480 HP while in 2 WD makes 469 HP and my other Chevrolet makes 251 HP in 2WD while in 4 WD only 243. So as you can see when the front wheels are active they loose through the laws of reality and friction. Also if you read the split on the Dyno the front wheels will make more power on a pickup than the rear due to the lengths of the drivetrain.
I also counted the ads and hmmm seems to be more Shop Hawk ads than others, think I will subscribe to popular science who has given engineering awards to Kawi and to Kunni for their quads engineering and innovation, See a Polaris ad in there but no Kawi seems their ad departments are seperated. Their editor could argue that.
As for meeting the criteria, lets see, What is different about the 700 than the 500 - Suspension generally the same, both have MP struts, Both have EBC on the engines, Both have generators, both have the white instrumentation, Both are belt driven, Body panels on the 700 have a black and chrome versus mostly single colored 500's thats innovation, the 500 has a single cylinder while the 700 has a twin taken from a snowmobile design (this is innovation).
As for taking up for them I will - here you go the Prairie Blowed the Sportman away in their test and they still want to cry all the time. In their own poll the Prairie beat the pants off the Sportman. In their ATV of all time poll they did not list the Moto4 or the Prairie 400 so is this magazine Biased I believe so.
As for knowing I have owned three brands started out on a Yamaha, went to a Pullaris, then Kawasaki and then returned to Kawasaki.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

<< I worked for my newspaper in college and the ad department and editoral department were seperated. >>

That is the funniest thing I have ever read!LOL! You are defending a rag by comparing it to a NEWSpaper that reports,this just in, NEWS! Not a freakin' oppinion on different products. Yoy can bet your life that all the mags have outside influence, period. Maybe they honestly think the 700 is the best! They are all great machines and somebody has to be picked as the winner and I am not dissing any of the machines. They are all winners in there own way and for different riding conditions they each have their strong points.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing the damn rags are good for is pictures.

Quick Reply: ATV Magazine Shootout