Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki/Suzuki merger, the good and the bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have seen some of the new products that have been released by Kawasaki and Suzuki. Kawasaki is using the DR-Z125/L and calling them the KLX-125/L. They didn't even change the plastic shapes, just the colors and graphics. Suzuki is using the KX65 and calling it an RM65. I would assume Suzuki would change the plastic on an RM, just because MX buyers are of a more loyal following and may want it to resemble the bigger bikes. Just my opinion, though.

What does this mean for the immenent release of Kawasaki's sport machines? Kawasaki and Suzuki have already stated that they will share sport quad platforms, and the only machine that we know about from Suzuki is the LT-Z400 (although a DR-Z250 engined sport model is still expected to follow suit later this year). Will Kawasaki do the same with the LT-Z400 as it did with the DR-Z125s? I hope not, because that's all we need - three sport quads of different colors that all have the same front plastic. It would look tacky and it would not lend to brand loyalty for Kawasaki.

I can see good out of this, though. The aftermarket companies will absolutely love this. They will be able to develop products for one make and then be able to sell it for two different models. Half the R&D cost that is usually required! This may either drive down component costs for souping up a Z400/Tecate-400 or it could lend itself to more options, or both. Either way, that is the most direct benefit as I see it. Also, if Kawasaki and Suzuki go further and do a motorsports merger (as many predict), this could lower the cost of MSRP for joint models, considering that the consumer sales for the two seperate companies remains the same when the merger is finalized.

Personally, I don't like the merger, Kawasaki and Suzuki are losing their brand identity, no matter what they say. But, I'd rather see them survive as one company rather than both pulling up stakes in the motorsports business.