Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave muffler stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002 | 09:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

Here's the scoop.My 01 Mojave started making a whistling sound from the exhaust.Upon closer inspection the muffler had a rattle inside also.The only way to fix the rattle was to grind off the weld on the rear of the muffler and remove the offending part.It appears to be a part of the spark arrester,looks like a "bomb" and was brazed not welded to the part that was welded to the outer housing.

I don't have any way to put it back together(weld ,braze).I went riding today and melted the tip off of the sparkplug!So I'm assuming that it is too lean now.

The closest kawi shop is 1 hour drive each way.They don't stock much in the way of jets or aftermarket stuff.They can order me a stock muffler for $250,or an aftermarket for $300.If I go with the aftermarket one I will have to rejet it.Getting jets from them may be a nightmare.Is there a way to get the jet # or is it always a guessing game?Or should I just get the stock muffler and take the easy way out?

The last time I ordered something from them it took 3 mths for them to get it,so it may take a year(no kidding) or more to get my bike jetted.

Old 03-18-2002 | 09:04 AM
Range Rover

I get my jets from Parker Yamaha for $3.11 each. Look them up in the ad index at the back of Dirt Wheels mag. My stock jet was 132-not sure what yours is, you should check it before you order. Just order 1 each of the next few sizes up. You could also go with the K&N/Dynojet kits, but they are a little steep in price($50) for me, but they take the guess work out according to everything I've read on this forum.
Also, I would go with an aftermarket muffler if stock costs that much. Just my .02.
www.rockymountainatv.com is a good place to order from also.

Old 03-18-2002 | 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

Chris142,
I would look into ordering your parts from rockymountainatv.com or rockymountainmc.com (same site, different address). You can get the Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust including headpipe for $239.00. I would get a better air filter as well like the K&N or Twin Air. The jets can be ordered from another source, just do a search online. You will see a noticable difference in performance. By cutting the end of the muffler off, you reduced backpressure and therefore leaned out the engine. You will have to jet up (around #135 or #138)to correct the present condition or replce the muffler with a restrictive stock muffler. The jet change is not difficult. Good luck.
Lakota300cr

Old 03-18-2002 | 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

hay 300cr, long time no see.

For the keihin jets get them from dennis kirk, 5 pack 18.50
dynojet jets are $2 a piece, or the kit for about $50.
Stock exhaust is probably more than a aftermarket.

Old 03-19-2002 | 10:04 AM
Range Rover

Dennis Kirk doesn't sell jets for the Mojave stock carb-just the Dynojet/K&N kits.
Remember also that DJ/K&N jet sizes don't correspond to Keihin jet sizes.

Old 03-19-2002 | 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

sorry mordr, some times I forget to mention the sizing thing. And you know how that goes.

Dennis kirk or the dealer or any one who sells keihin jets don't nessesarialy sell jets for the mojave or any other bike or quad, unless you inquire about the particular optional jets that kawi list.

If you go to the part were they sell keihin carbs and jets you will see it's $4.50 a jet, or you can buy a 5 pack for $18.50. What I do is find a 5 pack were the jet falls in the midle of what you have, or you can buy larger or lesser.
When you start shopping keihin or what ever carb, they use these carbs on alot of different bikes or quads, same with dynojet. So if you are this far in tuning or building it's more you need to know what your doing than looking for some one to give you answers.

I'm not trying to attack or flame any one here, but once you leave the stock or normal bolt on mods configurations, 95% of the advice you get from these bolt on companies is just as good a guess as yours. So try not to lean on them as much as your self and the exsperiences you are going threw. I hier so many You can't do thats, it makes me sick.
I'll give you an example, I'm getting a mo 34mm carb from lurch. So I call around to see what would be best intergrate a dynojet kit to the new carb or stay keihin. Man as far as both those companies are concerned, you can't do that.
Now we all know it can and has been done, but this is the sapport you will get.
Sorry got a little off there.

mordr,
couple questions for ya,

Could you tell a difference between 12 and 18 disc on the pipe. And the 20" rear tires, do you find you bottom out more with those. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2002 | 12:01 PM
Range Rover

Gaff-
18 disks opened it up a little more-had to jet up-went lean
2 weekends ago I just took the end cap off and believe it or not it wasn't that much louder. By the way it felt, that seemed to help it a little also, but hard to tell w/o a dyno.
It was warmer, so I was a little rich to start with.
The 20's made a huge difference on bottom end over the stock 22's. I lost a little top end-still runs about 53 on top bouncing off the rev limiter in a field. I was paced by a friend in his truck. I have stock gearing.
I would tell anyone to get these who was interested in bottom end over top speed.
I am supposed to race motorcross in Virgina Beach in April and I am trying to get my bike set up for this. I just bought some DG nerf bars-they were not cheap, but they seem to be made well.
Dennis Kirk only sells Keihin jets for PE carbs, not CVK.

Old 03-19-2002 | 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info.

Your probably rite on the jets. Come to think of it I have just ordered PJ only jets from them, and have dynojets for the CV type