Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 GOVENOR

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my understanding some of the first 650's wern't governd and from what I have heard the power output was sick, so Kawi decided to retard the timming at speeds under 15kph and over 80kph(kilometers per hour = 1mph = 1.6kph)so as to protect us forom ourselves "WELL I SAY IM A BIG BOY AND CAN MAKE THAT DECISION FOR MYSELF AND I CHOOSE MORE POWER" that being said ive hear that you can install a pulse generator which will fool the governor into thinking its running just above 15kph all the time thus eliminating the effect of the governor. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

<< BEST TO HAVE WAY TO MUCH THAN NOT ENOUGH >>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure they killed power with timing?

All I ever heard is that there is a rev limiter, not a timing retard.

As far as I know, almost all 4 stroke engines hit 30deg before TDC at 3000rpm and stay at 32 or 33 above 3300. I wonder if somebody could put their 650 on jackstands and see if the timing retards.

It would be cheaper to kill the power with a restrictive muffler. Ever notice how much quieter the 650 is than anything else?

It would also be effective to kill the power with milder cam grinds. I hear you can get a grundle of power from an aftermarket cam.

Old 03-29-2002, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

The Praire 650 does retard the timing as it gains rpms however it is so it can run regular fuel, more timing advance means higher octane fuel to stop detenation. Kawasaki slowed the 650 down twice before releasing it to the public and they did it electronicly by limiting top speed and horsepower.
Bearman

Old 03-29-2002, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Has any of you programming types out there tried to de-compile or reverse-engineer the controller unit used by the 650. I could build a circuit to translate the engine and/or vehicle speed sensors, but the software is the right way to go. I also do not know the normal way in which manufacturers limit the horsepower with the electronics and what the safe upper RPM limit would be anyway? How much of an increase in torque can the rest of the drivetrain withstand? I would enjoy some more power, but not at the cost of reliability. If you can't get the inside info from the 650 designers, than someone will have to take some risks and test the ATV themselves - who can afford to do that?

Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

It looks like the ignition controller (igniter) is the large black box in front of the storage box under the seat. It connects to the speed sensor, belt trip, vehicle tip over switch and more.

It gets crankshaft position from a pickup coil that near the alternator's rotor.

I think we should find a performance shop that handles reprogramming of bullet bikes (ninjas?) and ask them if they will do it, or what it would take to do it. If such a thing exists. I purchased a fully programmable fuel injection/ignition controller for $1200 for a 4 cylinder car in 1993. It could be set up to run any 4 cylinder with even 180 degree cylinder firing. I bet there is more and better stuff out there now, maybe even a 90 degree v twin igition solution for street bikes. We just have to find it, or get the aftermarket manufacturers to realize the demand for 650 products and make us something.

I bet a lot of us would like to have the performance.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Look at:

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna3000.htm

This dynatek thingy looks like it could be adapted for use on the 650 (depends mostly on crank position sensing and coil wiring, I guess).

If I replaced my module with one of these, it would not work with the belt failure switch and reverse limiter. It looks like it has great flexibility. Might even crank the 650. Although they don't list the 650, I wonder if one would work, or if they could modify one to make it work. I emailed them to see what they think.

Those are for mostly vtwin cruisers, but the ignition module should not care if have 4 wheels? I hope we find something.

Old 03-29-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.factorydirectperformance.com/mc4.htm

Dang! This one looks pretty adaptable. It is kinda big, though.

Old 03-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Bearman, aren't you already working on this?????I was wondering if this would only help on the top end?

Has anybody actually hit the rev limiter?I haven't noticed it yet, myself.

Old 03-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I hope I don't get banned from this topic for posting too much without adding any real informational value.

I have never heard of anyone actually noticing the rev limiter. A guy running without his airbox lid said he could go 74 or so. I've never gone over 64.

But, I have noticed that the 650 power diminishes over 50mph, which is the speed RMX15 said the retard starts to hit.

I saw an advance curve on some bullet bikes that had high rpm retards, and I wondered if that was just to smooth out the approach to the rev limit because it was only a few hundred revs below the limit. I guess in my not so extensive ignition timing experience, I have never heard of a high rpm retard required by fuel. I always thought the timing adjustments required to prevent knocking would be much more likely at lower rpms, mainly around peak torque. I know the 650's peak torque is at a relatively low rpm, because it feels like it, and hmfengineering posted torque curves showng it down low.

Being still a bit ignorant about the 650 timing, I guess I still think the high rpm retard (if there is one) is to slow us down (and/or prevent the rpm oscillation of a hard rev limit).

I am tempted to break out the timing light and see what they did.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

A similar post was made on another forum a while back:

Click here

Quick Reply: 650 GOVENOR