Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Am I getting ripped off or what??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say that i think you are getting ripped off... i see that the others pay for that first service....but maybe you have learned something out of it... Make the first service part of your deal... settle on a price of the quad and say that you want the first service done for free...

I am a grizzly owner, and this is what i did... the dealer (must be a saint) agreed to do it for me... Sorry to hear that you have to pay for your first service...but hopefully you've learned, and dont get burned again...

Jonathan

Old 04-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I payed about $120 for my first service. I think it is a small price to pay for what they do, plus you can hold your warranty strong being they did it. Only bad part is getting a dealer that knows what they are doing with a brand new machine. Good part is if you have problems, you can drop it off and gladly say "You did the service on my quad".
Another thing is check their work. I had the rear end drain plug loose and could have been a disaster if I didn't catch it. It's horrible you have to check their work, but nobody is perfect.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have always felt that buying a service manual is the best bang for the buck and pays for itself very quickly. I am not going to let some ex Jiffy Lube drop out touch my quad. If I am going to pay someone to work on my quads or watercraft, I will know who it is and know what their experience is.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dave c is right ,you don't own the typical single cylinder motor as most poeple,you have twice as much valvetrain to adjust on the 650 and it's alot harder to get to.i have adjusted a few of these 650's and they are not a cake walk.
and $180 sounds about right if you're not proficient in these matters then i would pay the professional to do it.cause if they screw something up then it comes out of thier pocket instead of yours.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

I know its a different company but when I bought a new Warrior a couple years back, the dealer did the first service for free. It included greasing all the zerks, oil change, and adjusting the valves. It was a Honda/Yamaha dealer.

Old 04-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

The 10hour service DOES NOT include a valve adjust(called for once a year). It is just an oil /filter change and change the lubes in the diffs. Check fasteners, adj. controls as needed. Clean airfilter. Kick the tires. Get the parts, do it yourself, if you a comfortable doing so. SAVE your receipts to document your services, in case of a warranty problem. My .02 cents worth.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

My 10 hours service will be $60 which includes oil, filter, cleaning the air filter, oil in differentials, and inspection of the whole ATV.

Daryn

Old 04-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now thats more like it. Thats what I would expect.....

Old 04-04-2002, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

My dealers 10 hour service DOES include a valve adjustment, or at least thats what they have told me for my last 3 quads. They could be lying to me about actually doing it. I question if they actually do anything other than change the motor oil.
If you want to get a free plug out of the deal, just ask for your old plug back "to keep as a spare". They know they didn't touch your plug and will just hand you one off the shelf as they say "we threw your old one away".

Old 04-04-2002, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dave C.---Look in your owner's manual and/or factory service manual. You will see that a valve adjust IS NOT called for at 10hr/60 mile service. It is called for on an annual basis. Check it out. I. personally, would think that the valves should be adj. at the 15-25 hr. range..........that is not what the factory calls for.

Quick Reply: Am I getting ripped off or what??