Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some research and read some previous posts so this may look familiar. But I want to get the oil right.

Oil and Front Diff can have Mobile V-twin or MX4T?
Rear Diff gets Mobile 424?

Any thoughts on these choices?
Any advice on oil filters?

Daryn

Old 04-03-2002, 06:14 AM
Pro Rider

Yep thats what I'm using.

Right now I'm using a Kawi filter until i find a better one like K&N. The part number wasn't in the books yet that the shop could find and I didn't have the kawi number with me and the shop didn't have a listing for it(ATV shop near the house). Unless someone else uses it let me know if there is a Part # for the K&N.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I use mx4t in the engine and V-twin in the front diff. Higher viscosity makes the visco lock diff a little stiffer, but since it is synthetic, it won't be as stiff as it would be with 20w50 dino oil. I tried 20w50 dino oil in the front diff and it made the steering too hard. Made my arms tired. So the bottom line is, I felt that 10w40 synthetic was too thin for the front diff. The diff doesn't really heat up (like the engine) and although the spec is correct for using mobil synth in the diff, it is thinner at low temps. That's why I put V-Twin in the front diff, and MX4T in the engine.

STP makes a good filter for the 650, the number is SMO-017, it is at autozone in the motorcycle section for $6. There are other filters, but they have been kinda hard to find for me, or they are Fram. The STP one is good quality.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

STP also has another filter at Autozone part no. S6607 for $2.99. good quality and perfect fit, have it on mine.