Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Kawi quad owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the market for a quad and decided to look for a Kawasaki since it was the only brand of bike I've ever owned (including street bikes). It came down to a 2002 Mojave (with the Zero, Zero, Zero thru Kawasaki, you can't get a better deal), but then I thought I shouldn't buy a new quad since I have never owned a quad before (I ride a 92 KX500). I looked into used quads and found an 87 Tecate 4 so I did my research and did the test ride....dude, this quad is awesome and then some. I immediatley bought it (stock except for FMF pipe and silencer and twist throttle). The seller thru in a set of paddles and razors with the rims, too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ALL I have to say is that this thing is a keeper. I took it on a dry lake bed and ran with stock Banshees no problems. I used my KX500 to beat the modified Banshees [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't race, I do mainly trails and am gonna start to ride in sand as well so it doesn't matter that I'm not the fastest out there. It's just awesome to have the power available. When researching, I was leaning toward an 87 Fourtracks 250R (because it's allegedly the best quad ever) but everyone wanted at least $4000 for theirs. Sorry, I can get a brand new one for a few hundred bucks more. Anyways, for all you Tecate owners, any advice or tips on the use and maintenance of this beast. I currently run 10W40 motor oil in the tranny and Mobil 1 MX2T premix @ 32:1 Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Good to be a Kawa Quad owner.

Old 04-08-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

make shure that the oil you are running in the tranny is a atv oil it cant be car or anything like that the clutch would break it down in no time

Old 04-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

It doesnt have to be ATV oil. Just not synthetic

Old 04-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Just not synthetic is not enough, it needs to be an atv or motorcycle oil because the oil has to lube the tranny and regular automobile oil does not have what it takes to keep the tranny lubed properly. Automobiles have seperate lubricants for their trannies.

Automotive oil also has detergents in them that are bad for trannies.

FYI, Peace!

Old 04-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

to each his own.

regular oils do just fine in a 2 stroke motorcycle tranny, only real issue is the clutch which can slip with synthetic oils. most regular oils dont have detergents in them.

Old 04-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To each his own is exactly right with any oil topic.

However synthetic automobile oil is just fine for quads, just don't use the energy conserving types as those are the ones that have ingredients that cause clutches to slip. I believe they are usually found in the 5w-30 range, but it will say right on the bottle if it is energy conserving or not.

Old 04-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Whatever - I want my quad and all of its parts to last, so I don't take short cuts. I only use Yamalube in my Raptor. Money is not an issue with me.

To each his own is right!

Old 04-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

quoted from two magazines
dirtwheels and atv action

'' automotive oil does not have what it takes the pressure between the clutch plates breaks it down and eventualy ruins your clutch because it no longer has good lube''
if automotive oil were good enough for transmissions why do you put transmission fluid in your cars transimision try that and c how long it works
you stand corrected

Old 04-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you very much there MOJAVEMAN1 - some people just don't want to learn what's best sometimes. But OH WELL, let 'em find out the hard way.

KXROM, take all this advice to heart...then make your own decision. You are the one that has to live with the outcome.

Old 04-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

They do make a synthetic oil for motorcycles and it is very good. The temprature will also be lower with the synthetic over the dino oil.

Quick Reply: New Kawi quad owner!