Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Kawi quad owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all the magazines are just that magazines, they sit near my toilet, if they get any more biased they might as well be in my toilet. (they advertise the specialty and OEM oil dont they?)

Second we are talking 2 strokes, not your raptor or mojave where the same oil is lubricating the piston and transmission. I have a raptor and I do run specialty oil, not so much for the transmission but for the high revs. The tecates transmission oil is only lubricating the transmission and clutch, many people run sae30 which is as basic as you get

Since automotive transmissions are being brought up, I know of several manual transmissions that use 10w-30. Automatics being a whole different animal. Honda civic has been using engine 10w-30 for years..

Old 04-09-2002, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm gonna stick with the 10W40, because that is what the owners manual recommends and I have been using it in my KX500 with ZERO problems. I know not to use the energy conserving oils (5W30 & 10W30). I am a firm believer in synthetic oil and if I rode more often, I would use synthetic oil. The main benefit in synthetics is that it will not breakdown nearly as quick as dino. In my KX500, I change the oil every 3 rides and the oil looks pretty clean still so I'm gonna stick with the same interval with the Tecate 4. With this interval and the cost for 10W40 non synthetic it won't even come close to breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is a great place to get advice, so let's be cool and roost!

Old 04-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

but when they recomend it they mean motorcycle quality
the piston and crank cams nothin matters but the cluth that is what breaks it down and that is the only thin you are using it on

Old 04-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

hope you enjoy the new quad.
ninjazx

Old 04-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Please don't let either of my two ATV's hear you (or anyone else for that matter) say that they require a special oil made just for motorcycles. Right now they (nor I) don't seem to know the difference.

Whatever oil you choose, try to find one with a more narrow viscosity range. For example, a 10W-30 will perform bettter (as long as the two are of the same type and brand) than say a 10W-40 oil. For a given volume, simply takes more non-lubricating additives to produce the wider viscosity performance. In other words, 10W-30 has more oil and less additives than 10W-40 oil.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh the great oil debate!I'm gonna go out on a limb here.From what I have heard.The motorcycle manufacturers don't want oil containing "moly" to be used with a wet clutch.Now determining which oil company's put moly in their oil may be hard to figure out.Using a "motorcycle oil" will guarantee(I hope) that the oil doesn't contain moly.As far as 10-30,10-40 ect is concerned "springdrl" is 100% correct,The less of a spread the oil must cover the more oil it has as opposed to additives.10-40 will break down sooner than a 10-30.

I really doubt if the motorcycle oil co's make their own oil.They probly buy it from valvoline or pennzoil or whomever has the best price and doesn't contain moly.
I don't care for synthetic oil except for "torco".I won't use syn oil in anything I own that is a 4-stroke(car,jeep quad)I havn't had good luck with it,lots of leaks,blowin by rings and excessive oil burning.
I will use "torco gp-7" in my 2 strokes(pre-mix 40-1).I havn't had to rebuild a 2-stroke since I started using it 7 years ago.I rode my 82'act 250r 100 miles a weekend for 9 years w/o removing the head!So I'm sold on torco,although your mileage may vary.

Currantly I have "chevron" 10-40 in my mojave.I "think" I have penns 30 wt in the atc trans.Although I do have "motorcycle" oils in the garage that I keep telling my self I need to use.I never do.Btw the manual transmission in my truck and my scout both recomend sae 50 "motor" oil,not sae 90 gear oil as the extreem pressure additives are caustic to brass/bronze parts.Ok I'm off my limb now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2002, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mojaveman,
I see what you are saying but I have read tests that say there are minimal if any differences in todays motor oil vs. motorcycle oils as far as viscosity and breakdown, but I haven't found any tests that says motorcycle oils are better than motor oils in viscosity breakdown. I don't beleive everything I read but here is one test I found. Check it out.

www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

If the link does not work, let me know. I believe the real tests on these oils come from us, the riders and mechanics. We personally experience how the oil performs on our rides. I know people who use and have been using every type of oil from ATF (type F), to gear oil, to motor cycle oil, to motor oil, to multi grade oil. I talked with the mechanics at the local cycle repair shop. I read through the forums (both ATV and Dirtbikes). Everyone has there own opinion. I have had no problems with 10W40 motor oil with my KX500 so I will go with that. Beleive me Mojaveman, if money wasn't a factor, I would use Mobil 1 (4 cycle 10W40). If you find any other oil studies or tests, let me know cuz I am always open to reading stuff like that.

Springdrl, I would use 10W30 but they are all energy conserving labelled. If I find a 10W30 oil that is not EC, then I will use it.

Ninjaxx, thanks broh! I have and will enjoy it.