Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

i finished it,the tecate 4 lives and is ready to roost all comers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JB, you say you can just replace the powervalves with KXers or modify the stock ones into KV powervalves. What's the better choice for someone like me or others like me who, as you well know, may find the process a bit intimidating? What do you think a shop would charge for either way in terms of labor (modify vs. replace)? Is replacing the stock one with an original KX250 unit easy enough even for the mechanically inexperienced? Is the manual any help on this?

Another thing is pipes. With such a slim choice of pipes to choose from for the KXF compared to the KX, how well would it work to change the port timing in the Tecate to match the KX250 so you can slap on a KX250 pipe from Bills Pipes or Pro Circuit for example?? Is it a worthwhile idea that would have good results?

PS: I'd email you directly on this but I figure others might wanna know or benefit. BTW, I unistalled Instant Messenger a few months ago.

Thanks for your input!

JV

Old 04-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

well either way replacing or modifying the valves is easy enough.but if you're not that mechanically inclined then i would leave it to some one with a little more expperience,because when you pull the powervalves out they have to be timed back in./ so if you get the valve timing off it'll run like crap.there is a valve on each side of the exhaust port,they open and close at the same time.and it's real easy to get them a little or even a lot off sequence.
so replacing the valves with kx valves will cost more because of the price of the valves.they are relatively cheap though.but it would be more cost effective to modify the stock ones ,unless your old ones are worn anyway.i'm not sure what a shop would charge to do either job.i know either way you have to take the topend off to remove the valves to do either chore.
as far as using kx pipes, they won't bolt on.so thats not really even an option.i highly recommend the stock tecate pipe for multi purpose use.the stock pipe is an excellent pipe for all around power.i would stay away from the FMF pipe in alot of cases you can actuallylose power with that pipe.and there the dg pipe which is a good alternative to the stock pipe.and if you look real hard you might be able to find a klemm research pipe which puts out some good power,but i honestly think if you need midrange and top end power like i do then the sprock racing pipe is the best.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I've heard bad things about DG and their pipes. It could be just ignorant hearsay. Have you seen them perform on KXFs? what do think about them and what they do? and Silencers? should I keep my FMF sil.? I really am and was unhappy with my FMF pipe and when Corey and then you didn't have any good things to say about'em, that just confirmed my feeling the pipe brings the quad down because I've driven Tecates before with no longer available pipes as well as stock pipes and remember them having more zip.
Is the klemm pipe out of production...like EVERTHING else? Won't the stock make me run a lot richer?

Old 04-15-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

the stock pipe i don't think will make you run richer. but if it does,just rejet. and the dg pipe was one of my pipes of choice for years for the tecate.and the DG silencer is built ten times stronger and looks much nicer then any silencer i've ever seen for the tecate except the silencer i have right now.it's a carbon fiber one of a kind that i built.
if you don't think you're tecate has the zip thaT IT SHOULD THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD TEAR IT DOWN OR SEND IT TO A COMPETENT MACHENIC LIKE COREY OR MYSELF THAT ARE VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE TECATE AND HAVE IT GONE THROUGH.THERE COULD BE QUITE A FEW VARIANCES IN THAT MOTOR THAT IS MAKING YOU LOSE PERFORMANCE.

ooops i hit the caps lock on accident.:confused

Old 04-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year KX250 KIPS valves will work? 87-88 or is there other years also.

Old 04-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

just the 87-88 ones.but you really only need the right side valve.

Old 04-16-2002, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet Tecate, Killer!!! Let us know how it does in the races.

Wow, that sucks that the Tecate 4 loses power with the FMF pipe because that's what is on mine (came on it when I bought it).

Old 04-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

KXROM (and anyone who's interested) LRD Racing makes a pipe/silencer for the T-4. It's not adjustable like the rest of their pipe lineup but it's better than nothing! Chromed it retails for $365. DG, I found out today, just discontinued their pipe (but not the silencer...go figure!) and I couldn't find any thru the dealers I checked out. Eastcoast ATV says they got a few used aftermarket pipes available but I'm not sure which ones. Call them if you want to know. Sprock Racing makes a custom pipe (killerKX has one on that Tecate 4) I'm getting rid of my FMF soon. I think I'm getting the the LRD pipe. It supposedly has powerful, smooth hitting lowend and midrange for quick acceleration for racing ( or trails in my case!) and still gives (rather it keeps) the T-4's strong stock topend. I'm gonna put a stock sprocket set back on. Then I should have a good strong wide powerband. The KX valves are another idea. We'll see.

Old 04-16-2002, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

BTW, if anyone knows of other , hard to find hardware and hop ups that are still available (preferably new), post what and where. I've managed to find a few pipes and A-arms. I suppose aftermarket rear axles shouldn't be too hard to find but I'm not sure. I haven't looked (yet).

Old 04-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

2stroke4ever and anyone else who is concerned,if you want one of those pipes that lrd offers you better move quick cuase they only have two of those pipes left, and they will not be making anymore.and thats actually not even a lrd pipe.lrd had them made by powerpros.so it's actually a powerpro's pipe.
if i were you i would buy the sprock pipe,it's the best pipe you're going to find period.
and durablue still makes two different axles forthe tecate ,the eliminator and the heavy duty.
and REDLINE PERFORMANCE MACHINE still has some dominator axles for tecate also.they also have two styles,they are both the exact same axle only difference is you pay $369 for the lifetime warranty on one and $220 for no warranty. so if you pay for the expensive one at least you'll get a warranty.i've been using the dominator axle for years and i've never bent one,and i've never heard of anyone bending them. so i myself i just spent the $220 and got it without a warranty.
another good hop up is a PVL ignition,39mm carb,K&N filter.and if you can find a GOOD reputable place to have porting done that makes a huge difference.i recommend P.S.I. in wild rose wisconsin.cause they do real porting not that bullcrap glamour porting like a lot of businesses do these days.you will see results from thier work.there are way to many shops out there these days that are charging an arm and a leg for porting,but you get no results and sometimes lose power.sure the porting looks good,but thats why it's called glamour porting all show and no go.
if you do the right mods to your tecate there is absolutely no need for a big bore kit in these machines.i race guys on their 250r/330 kits and waste them,i've even beat a couple with the 350 powervalve kit,but they are the only guys i've seen with the 350 powervalve setup.so you don't need all that fancy stuff to be fast,you just have to combine the right parts and the proper tuning.
if anyone needs any help with thier tecate 4 please feel free to get ahold of me or corey sprock at SPROCK RACINGand we'll be happy to help you ,so that you can be out there roosting on those guys on the red and blue.

Quick Reply: i finished it,the tecate 4 lives and is ready to roost all comers!!!