Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 12V outlet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 01:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning a hunting trip and need to plan around what my 650's cirarette outlet and battery can handle. I already blew a 5 amp fuse using an air compressor which made me question what it can power. I want to use it to charge batteries for the Talk about Distance radios. I'm pretty sure that this won't blow the fuse but I'm concerned about leaving the ignition on all night. Is this bad for it? Will I wake up with a dead battery (on the Quad)? Any feedback from experienced users?? I assume running a 12V blender for Drinks is out of the question?

Old 04-23-2002, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Something that is nice about the 650's is that it doesn't really matter if the battery ever dies. Because of the pull start, you can run the battery dead, over and over again and still get the bike to start.

Old 04-23-2002, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't leave mine on all night I would just go to the auto parts store and buy a extra plug and fuse and wire it directly to my battery you could even get a plug so it isn't always there and all you have to do is blug that in. Just what I would do and my 2 cents[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

If you use the rear accessory power, it is "hot" all the time and you will not have to leave the ignition on. You will have to buy a 5A fuse and power port, "cigarette lighter socket", to wire it up. I use this on a Warn reverse light so I can switch it on and off if needed even without the key. As for the charging question, you will have to find out how much power the recharger will draw from the battery. A 5A load on a 12AH battery will drain it completely in about 2.4 hours, 1.2A load in about 10 hours and so on. Just divide the draw amperage into 12 to get the drain time in hours. I would use 6 instead of 12 to keep a 50% reserve on the battery. The recharger info should be documented somewhere in the Talkabout manual. I can power a compressor without blowing the 5A fuse for the ATV, but if you try to inflate a vehicle tire, it pulls more than 5A around 28 psi or so. One time it blew the fuse because I didn't push it on the ATV tire stem far enough and it was blocked from pumping. This accessory power outlet is just a connector that is in a plastic pouch thing; look in the owners manual.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:20 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys:

From very recent experience I can tell you that you CANNOT run that battery down, then run it pullstarting it. That system has to have twelve volts to run the computers. If you run it down, and pullstart it, you have to let it sit a considerable amount of time to begin to at least partially charge that battery...before you drive it. If that battery is completely dead, the electronics don't function properly. On mine, if you pullstarted on a dead battery, the speedometer read 20 while idling in neutral. Any speed at all in gear and that speedo would read near 70, thus kicking in the rev limiter.

I would suggest finding another source of power. Run that blender on a converter on your truck.

It cost me a new battery and a charger to figure all of this out. If your battery drains all the way down, just throw it on a charger overnight. It will be a much less frustrating. Hope this keeps someone else from spending the bucks.

Chucky

Old 04-23-2002, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

That's odd, I disconnected my battery and rode around to see if it had more power, it ran fine, just the speedo went up and down with rpms instead of forward speed.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

in regards to the electrical system, how many things CAN you run at the same time?

like can you run: 12v outlet for a GPS with a 12v outlet to power cell phone, plus run your winch, and run a set of 55w driving/fog lights?

What exactly is TOO much for the stator/alternator? on one of these things?

How many amps does it put out?

I guess my only frame of refrence is a car, and mine has a 136 amp alternator.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Old 04-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

The output is 25A at 14V....350 watts or about 1/2 HP.

Old 04-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

so basically, you can run accessories up to a 20-25amp draw and be okay, correct?

Is the 25 amp output the same for the Praire 360?

Old 04-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< [i]If you use the rear accessory power, it is &quot;hot&quot; all the time and you will not have to leave the ignition on ....

where is the rear accessory plug ??? ive looked and looked

Quick Reply: Prairie 12V outlet?