Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Who has cracked or broken fenders on there Prairie 650?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002 | 05:37 PM
|
Pro Rider

DirtyDawg, I am replacing my fenders because I am way to **** [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I put swirl scratches in the shine when I removed all my safety stickers. I used a paper towl rather than a soft towl. This has botherd me for a while, so I tried to get the swirl scratches out of the shine with some fine steel wool. This wound up dulling the shine, rather than polishing the swirl scratches out of the plastic. On the rear fender, along with the swirl marks, there were some other scrathces in the plastic from rocks getting kicked up. So I tried "Plastic Renew" on them. It worked preaty well, but I read that some dish soaps like Dawn can remove the chemical which gives it the shine. So in frustration, of not wanting to periodically redew the shine with "Plastic Renew" I just ordered new fenders, front and rear, and called it a learning experince. If and when the new fenders get scratched, I will just leave it alone, rather than trying to fix it and possibly making it worse. Most people wouldn't mind the scratch's and dull spots, expecially if there fenders are already broken or cracked, so I hoped that someone that isn't as **** as me, that had swaped out there tires and rims right after they bought there 650 might want to trade. If nothing else, I will be willing to sale the fenders at a good price if no one wants to trade. They are as you mentioned expensive to replace, as I learned the hard way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I did remove my racks, as I didn't buy my 650 to haul things on, I wanted it for it's "sporty" nature and it's abilty to go anywhere. I guess I wanted a "Sporty 4x4", not a "Sport Utility". Anyway, after seeing a picture of Mike Pennlands GNCC Prairie 650, with no racks and Beed Lock rims, I got the idea. It looks sportier with out the racks, and I wound up removing over 20 pounds of unnessiary weight. Also, that weight comes right off the top of the machine, wich helps further lower the center of gravity, and improve handling.

As for the tires, I have decided to go with the Maxis All Trak's, again, the tires that Mike Pennland uses and recomends. I haven't found any mudd yet, and I don't think that I am likly to [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So I think that the All Trak's will work best for my type of riding. I'm sure that if I do find any wet stuff that they will handle it better than the stock Dunlups.

So if anybody needs new fenders due to yours being cracked or broken, just let me know. I would be glad to trade for some factory bronze colored rims that are in new shape if you have them laying around, or sale them pretty cheap.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-27-2002 | 06:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

Anyone interested?

Old 04-27-2002 | 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< [i]DirtyDawg, I am replacing my fenders because I am way to **** [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I put swirl scratches in the shine when I removed all my safety stickers
I did remove my racks, ...

r u aware that the front struts are held up by the front racks. dont think its a good idea to remove the fronts. i removed my stickers with a pressure washer and highly reccommend using it. takes about 5 minutes and oh yeah not 1 scratch...........the only 1 that wouldnt come off was the front left one that is riveted on....

Old 04-28-2002 | 01:54 AM
|
Pro Rider

&quot;r u aware that the front struts are held up by the front racks. dont think its a good idea to remove the fronts.&quot;

Loops; the front rack and fender are actually bolted to the top of the strut &quot;bracket&quot;, which is in turn mounted to the frame. There is no way that the front rack could “hold up” the strut, as the rack is just bolted to the top of the ATV. If the rack were “holding up” the strut, then what would be “holding up” the rack? See what I'm getting at? There is a &quot;strut bracket&quot;, which is actually mounted to the frame for rigidity. Then the strut is mounted to that strut bracket, which in turns allows the suspension to work. There is also a bolt hole that goes into the top of that &quot;strut bracket&quot; that the front rack and fender bolt down onto, thus giving them a secure place to mount, and a foundation to support the weight that will be placed on the front rack when carrying a load. I think if you have another look at your front strut and bolts that attach the front rack, you will see what I mean. Then you will see the “strut bracket” that is mounted to the frame, which is actually what the strut is mounted to. There just also happens to be a bolt hole in the top of that strut bracket to mount the front rack. I simply removed the rack, and reinserted a bolt and a washer back into the bolt hole, to bolt down the fender and hold the fender tight as if the rack was still on it. You can actually remove the front rack as well as the whole front fender, and see that the front strut is still securely mounted to frame by the strut bracket. My suspension works better than ever, as the front struts no longer have to support the additional weight of the rack. If you would like to see a demonstration of this, simply place a heavy load onto your front rack, and watch your front struts compress. This strut compression reduces the suspension travel, and therefore reduces the performance of your suspension. With the rack removed, you will not have any load placed on the front struts to compress them, and in turn you will always have maximum suspension travel. Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to make sure that you could visualize what I am describing. Hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for the tip on removing the stickers; I will have to remember that for next time.

Old 04-28-2002 | 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

What R U asking fur that thar plastic yungun - OK what are you asking for the used plastic

Old 04-28-2002 | 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've broken the black pieces on the side ( broken where the screws hold them on )and the black pieces on the rear fenders have seperated from the green in some places.

Old 04-28-2002 | 11:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

DustinMinnesota; I was hoping to trade for some factory rims that came off the green 650, you know, the bronze colored one's. If someone wants to buy them, I would sale them for $150.00 or best offer I guess. I paid $435.00 for a new set, so considering how good of shape mine are in, $150.00 would be a pretty good deal. Let me know if you are interested. My e-mail address is briankmagby@cs.com
Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-28-2002 | 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

okay i know a guy who is looking to change his red to green

Old 04-29-2002 | 02:10 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok, just tell him to send me an e-mail if he is interested.
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2002 | 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Area51, If you took the racks off your 650 does that mean you dont have the front guard on too...? I took my front plastic cover off to wash under it and when i took the 2 front bolts out the front guard is attached to that and the front rack....so do you also not have the front guard...? I'd like to see pics of what your prairie looks like...

Scratched plastic is to be expected with a off road vehicle...its not a show vehicle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Who has cracked or broken fenders on there Prairie 650?