Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

EXCELLENT P-650 TIRE COMBO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I promised a report on my tires. Was able to test them yeasterday, in Wayne Nat'l Forest(Athens,OH. District)
My friend "Wrecks" recommended this combo and it works very well, IMO. 26X12X12 Maxxis Shur-Trax--REAR/ 26X9.5X12 ITP Spider Trax--FRONT. EXCELLENT mud tires, didn't run too many rocky areas, but what I did, they were flawless! That P-650 frt. end "push" is GONE!!!! Don't know if I will go to the expense of the Progressive spring kit just now. I'll spend the money on a muffler/pipe, instead!
These tires are light, and don't rob any more power than the stock ones. I am extremely happy with this combo. It is a great cross between mud-specific, and a sport tire. At this point, I would highly recommend this tire set-up to any one that rides their P-650 more as a sporty trail bike. I had a couple of complaints about people behind me getting "roosted". The Shur-Trax DO seem to clean out well! My area of operation includes red-clay mud, and sandy loamy dirt. Also flat sandstone and shale rocks.
Oh yeah, I am running ITP "C" series wheels(cast Aluminum) all 'round. These wheels are offset to the outboard sides, making my trackwidth 2" TOTAL wider(BOTH ends) than stock.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Good to here my stock Dunflops are quickly coming to the end of there life. I will be going with the same but on stock rims mayby if the survive the stock tires.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone:
Go to http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/prairie6...ir=&pic=33 to see these tires on the 650.

TRX450:
I am still considering this combo that you discovered. I wish I could come test drive, but the gas would cost as much as buying the tires anyway. Now for the questions:

-How was the steering, did it get any easier?

-I think the 2" spacing you described is something I want to avoid for steering reasons.

-Sur Trak on hardpack, how do they bite?

-Handling, can you still go really fast without handling probs?

-how about rolling distance between the two, could you try to measure it? If the rolling distance is to far off, the shifting in and out of 4x4 may not work as well, and there is a greater drag while in 4x4. I don't know how much difference is too much, but I do know the stock tires had more than most aftermarket tires of the same type. I am just really curious about what you wound up with. Could you tell if the 650 had less drag if you forgot and left the 4x4 on with these tires than with the stockers?

-What do you mean the "push" is gone? (What caused that)

-Would you do this again? I don't think I had a solid opinion after one ride on my new tires last winter, but hopefully you have a real good one.

Sorry for all the questions, but I've got my shopping cart full of tires and I am about to click "Proceed to checkout".

Old 04-29-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

nyroc-- I can't say about the hardpack, as this area had @2 inch of rain just before I got there to ride. Seemed OK on the gravel road sections, though.
Are you speaking of rolling RESISTANCE? Didn't notice much difference in the old and new tires. I DID forget ,and left it in 4WD, and noticed a diff. in steering effort, of course.
That "push" I speak of has been reported by MANY p-650 owners/riders. It feels like it wants to roll out, or push out of the apex of a tight turn in loose dirt. The Spiders eliminated this for me. They DO inspire confidence.
These tires are a great combo for my riding style. I ride fairly fast(with sportbikes) thru the woods. I tend to avoid deep mud, and water holes. Though, the Shur -Trax are great in the mud.
I did not come up with this combo....my friend "Wrecks" researched it for his Kodiaks. All I can say is: It works for ME!!!!!
Later, Mike.

Old 04-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

trx450 (Mike) I know exactly what you are talking about with the "push" it's like the front tires just (technical term) "waller" over and don't bite. Front end slides pretty good in a turn at speed.
NYROC, I've ridden with trx450 and he hustles his quad pretty fast, so I'm sure if there was any drop off in trail speed performance, he'd notice it. I'm looking in to tires for my P650 also, and since my likes and dislikes in riding are very similar to trx450's, I'll probably go with the same set up. Oh yeah, like the Pontiac commercial says, WIDER IS BETTER!

Atta boy to Wrecks (aka Guru Tire Tester)!!

Old 04-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Like NYROC said, "my tire cart is full and I am ready to checkout." I initially got my 650 for hunting but I soon discovered how fun trail riding and the speed is. So here is my question:

Are the Maxxis Suretracks going to hold up to potential offroad abuse, mud, and ground elements that autumn hunting will throw at an ATV?

Would 589's be better knowing that I will sacrifice the lightness of the Suretrack?

I like the trail riding aspect but need potential mudding capability so I don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere. For this year, I can only get one set of tires so its one or the other.

Daryn

Old 04-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

I was asking about rolling distance, which is the distance the tire travels on a hard surface without slipping, through 1 revolution.

It is mainly affected by tire diameter, but it is not exactly pi*D, due to the tire not being perfectly hard. It is affected by tread design and tire pressure too.

If the rolling distance is very far off, there is some additional drivetrain wear, which I don't think is a big deal, but there is often more pressure on the 4x4 shifting mechanism.

I could feel a good power loss in 4x4 compared to 2x4 with my stocker tires. I can't tell with the mudzilla if I am in 4x4 on a trail nearly as much, if any at all. The is due to the mudzilla having a closer rolling distance, between the 8" fronts and the 10" rears.

Rolling resistance? My tires probably have a lot of rolling resisance. I feel it when I push the quad around the garage.

Old 04-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Daryn--- In my opinion, YES this combo should work well for you. SEE my wheels and tires in NYROC's 650 site(mentioned earlier in this thread).

Old 04-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

MonteSS-- Those Dunflops were at the end of their useful life when they popped out of the mold!!!!!! LOL! Those are TERRIBLE tires. I almost got hurt a couple times, simply "over-riding" those tires. What junk!

Old 04-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have only been rideing the ATV for a month now and I am slowly expanding my ability. It surprises me every time I take it out and I get it to do something I never thought a ATV could do expecialy one of its size. I did get it to wheelie once but it was dificult I am still trying to get it to wheelie easily what are the best surfaces to get it to wheelie on. I had a chance to open it up on pavement and the top speed was only 58 mph I may be looking into a jet kit to help it out expecialy with the heavier after market tires.

Quick Reply: EXCELLENT P-650 TIRE COMBO