Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Lakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gentleman,

Just wanted to say hi and that I just purchased a 2002 Lakota Sport about three months ago. And already I have purchased DG nerf bars and should be recieving my IDS2 pipe, jet kit, twin air filter and 13T sprocket in about a week from Rocky Mountain ATV.

I do have a question though regarding the muffler and jets. I live in northern Ohio and I noticed that guys from different parts of the country use a different jet and # of discs in the muffler. Could anyone possibly tell me what I might have to run in Northern Ohio climate?

This is great to find so many guys with the Lakota, I was begining to think that it wasn't a very popular Quad.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2002, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hay welcome aboard.

The difference is the climate were we all live.

You will end up with a 134 main and 10 disc in the exhaust. The jet kit will say 138 and the pipe kit will say 8 disc, but just start were I just said, probably hit it rite on first try.

The difference you will love, any problems just post it. We have been kinda quiet for a few months but all of us still check in every day.

What part, by cleavland. I graduated HS from a place called adena. 13 miles west of wheeling WV.

Old 05-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice Gaff I'll try that when I get my stuff. It should get here by Friday I hope.

I live about 20 min. east of downtown Cleveland in a suburb called Eastlake. How far is Adena from St. Clairsville? My mother lives there.

Old 05-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

The info. Gaff gave will prob. be right on the money. Not sure of your elevation there, but prob. real close to where we are here in Indy. Once you get it on perform a few plug checks and you should be good.

Gaff, again, is correct, there are several of us. We have been quite lately, but we are all very near.

As far as the handle bars go, well that is addressed on this website. If you go to search and type in Lakota, you will find of very interesting info. I have 250R bend Renthals, however they are slighly longer than stock, so the reach is the same if not a little farther out. I have never really been bothered by the reach and I really like the Renthal bars.

Good to see another Lakota owner joining the ranks. Welcome.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

St. clairsville is only a couple minutes away. It's kinda the biggest town around there and thats were all the malls and that are. Nice lil place.

You ever get down there with the lakota let me know, they have many different poker runs and big atv rides there consisting of hundreds of riders. They just had a real big one on the GNCC course there in st. clairsville. The GNCC comes there Oct 5th and 6th, bring your quad and I'll meet you there.

stebob,
Moving days upon you yet, or are you still painting.
I haven't got the handle bars yet, but need them badly. My bars keep bending rite outside that lil black center piece from jumping. Just trying to chill out on spending on bikes and quads. The ole lady is due 12/20 and I'm trying to give her a braek, before she gives me a break, rite up side the head.

Old 05-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Well, Gaff, as you know how my luck runs, the house thing may not end up happening. Very unsure at this time. There are a few things that have come up. Go freakin figure. I'll tell you more about later. It's not over yet, gonna take a little more time. Now the seller is unsure of the price since they talked to one of their friends. Nothing is in writing yet so. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. Ya know if it isn't the hard road, it doesn't happen for me.

Let me know when you get the bars. You definitely need 'um. I think I paid around $65 for mine from Rocky Mountain. If you can splurge, that maybe your next purchase(?).

Old 05-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yah the price of the bars don't bother me. I have helped out some poeple with engine assemblies and I still do alot of tuning on street sport machines. Just things got a little fast and I realy let the lakota take a back seat for about 6 weeks. Just trying to slow things down a bit. I have a couple things such as handle bars I'm working on for my son. On top of that we have 5 machines that my family uses and has that I try to keep up with, including that new bayou 250. So it's not a matter of purchasing and that it's just a matter of me and the boys racing wich cost $40 a practice wich we do 3 to 4 times a week. Then the family does a lot of riding so the maintenance and repairs keep me busy. Such as my daughter driving her new 250 into a lake, what a good laugh that was.

Just got to the point of the year that mods have to stop and fun needs to begin.

On the house, don't get down. The best way to exsplaining buying a house is, the answer is never no, but what you have to do next. Once you and the family get it you will swear you will never buy one again. They say the first step to wealth is the purchase of a home. You will see, they are rite. Things seem to come easier once you make that giant step.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Range Rover

hey gaff i see you got some new tires! how are they working for you? i need some new ones! eny sugjustions? i need some for lose gravil, mud, snow but mostly lose gravil! eny help! thanxs! my i am jelouse of your lakota! lol i was tring to keep up with you on the mods part but now you blew me away haha! thanxs!

Old 05-14-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

realy I just keep forgetting to update the signiture. I have been getting it together sense I believe last september. Still have some more I want to get but riding seasons here and I want to ride and hold off on the modding for a while.

I have to say the holeshot XCT's are some thing else. They realy stick on anything, and never push the front end. I got the shreader rears because the size availability wasn't there, so 98lakota turned me on to the shreaders and I must say they are surprisingly very good. I believe if I would be able to get the rear XCT's thats what I would get, but I have absolutely no problems with the shreaders.

Just watch out for those heavier tires, they will realy off set all the performance work you have done thus far.

The razzors are a very good tire as well. They were my first choice but once again the availabillity wasn't there. Both the XCT's and razzors were sappose to be in by the end of may at rocky mountain, but I'm not sure. Pricing and shipping from other companies was nearly double. I did order both sets from other companies when they said they had them, but thier promises were hallow as they never came threw.

Wich ever ones you get the difference from stock is unbelievable. What a huge difference.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

Bluekawirider2005:

Like Gaff said you kinda want to stay away from the heavier tires, but you should look into the Pure Sport Bandits. They are a great tire on loose gravel, and in the snow and mud they work really well. If you get a 20" tire and get the AT style which is a 4 ply instead of the (XC - Kevlar belted)then the weight isn't bad at all. The tread is nice on them with a semi deep lug for the snow or mud, but still great on hardpack or loose terrian. They also slide well and don't flex to much. And it takes awhile to wear them down. They are popular among the Desert racers. The front tires are nice to, they are more of a square then most front tires, but they steer good, the design off the tread carves nicely. You can get the AT or XC style front which are square or the XCR which is a round style that comes only in 23"7"10".

All in all a great trail tire. Check em out!

Later

Quick Reply: New Lakota