Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what to look for in a ATV trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a trailer for my soon to be ATV...is there anything I should look for...???

Old 05-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

to pull it on or to pull with ATV??

Old 05-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

to pull the ATV..with the car

Old 05-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 5x8 that I paid 400 for made from Channel and angle and it does a good job with 3500 lb axle. The aluminum are way lighter they say but I hear they are also a big theft item.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:06 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Hello,

I have a 3 place trailer. The sides fold down so you can drive your machines on. If you can afford one of these, I think it's so easy and convenient, it's worth the cost. Preferably, you should buy a Triton. They are the best built, at least in this type. They are made out of aluminum and pretty light, but built like a tank. I also own a Bearcat, and you can really tell the difference in quality. Triton makes a 2,3 and 4 place. You won't be sorry.

Scott

Old 05-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a big fan of 15" tires, standard auto, that desen't turn at 50 bazillion rpm at cruising speed, also put timken bearings in them so they last, most trailers have chi-neez wheel bearings that wont go the distance, other than that, get one big enough to suit your needs, the rear ramp models are nice, but I'd also consider a side load rig..I may see if mine will fit sideways, & have it modified by the guy that made it, that way you have more space..I have a 6x12, a local welder made it, paid 700 for it. ..

but I wanted one big enough to haul 2 street bikes, that is why I settled on that size, a smaller one would have worked for either 1 bike or quad, but I wanted to be able to do whatever I needed to with it.

the thing about a utility trailer is thay hold their value well.., look at the way the gates are attached to the end of the trailers, as well as the axle capacity, . a lightweight trailer should tow behind a car well, if the only use is for the quad, a smaller trailer is easier to manuver than a larger one, & will give better milage,but the bikes/quads jump around a bit more,

I wanted something substansial, enve on my 6x12 it pops 1 of the 4 tiedowns off when I hit a big bump.. mine weighs 700 lbs, & the quad weighs 600 lbs, both bikes weigh 1400 lbs, so I got a 2750 lb axle.. ..you can tell it is back there for sure, but I like being secure..I've got too many $$$$ on the trailer to be dropping it off of it..

..also if the lights are not near the back of the trailer folks that tailgate ya wont be able to see the lights, I had to move mine back on the gate..
sorry to be kinda long winded here..
CLP

Old 05-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have a landscape trailer that is very nice. Landscape trailer is that big rear gate trailer.

They go for $800, it has 15" wheels and a 4000lb gross vehicle wieght rating. It's a 5X10. I would suggest to any one to get the 5X12 as a 5X10 does not hold 2 full size quads, about 6" short.

The one I have is about the best they make if not the best, forgot what brand thow, post it tomorrow.

Be carefull with those light trailers, they realy bounce alot on the road. Any one who has had one knows when you hit a bump it looks like the quad and bikes are going to fly out of the trailer.

Mine is kinda pricey, but I've been down this road before.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

I made my own trailer. 5x12 2 quad with lawn care trailer style gate. The 15" tire idea as suggested by Surveyor is a good one. I used 95 Lincoln alum. wheels with Michelin take offs for a "classy" look. Rides great. Number of quads and tow vehicle capacity is important. I made mine just big enough for 2 atvs but kept it light to pull with an older Ranger pickup. Make sure you have a lot of tie down points on any trailer you get. Loading my quads end to end with 1 in the bed works good, easy on, easy off. Bad trailer design makes loading and unloading a hassle and takes some of the enjoyment out of atving. Good Luck in your search!

Old 05-16-2002, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Confucious say: most people buy trailers too small for what they wind up doing with them (at least he said that about the people I know).

I made a 7x12 trailer, so I could load 3 sideways. Works nice, but I made it heavy since I use it for sand, wood, and other junk. It has 2' walls, and some of the walls are gates that fold down. Padlocks on the gates make us feel a little better about leaving the quads when we stop to eat.

Some trailers don't have the wheels far enough back, and if all the quads weigh the same, the center of gravity is too close to the axle and the trailer fishtails. It goes away if the center of gravity is sufficiently forward of the axle (heavy quads forward, or axle mounted further back).

My friend notices increased wind drag when his quads are sideways, not front to back. He has a V8 (5.0) explorer. A bigger truck would be better for hauling 3 or more quads, since he drives fast.

My brother removed the flip down gate on the rear of his trailer, since he could feel the increased air drag on the highway. He just uses ramps now.

I like to use the full size ratchet straps to go under the trailer (with no sides), pulling the quad down front and rear. This allows me to use 1 strap per quad. Works really well. They never move.

The aluminum trailers are nice if your vehicle is underpowered. The tie downs on the Triton trailer are sorta weak, that is why we always use the full size ratchet straps and run them under the trailer (sideways loading only).

My dream trailer is enclosed and has fold down bunks to sleep in. Nothing fancy, just enough to avoid trying to find a motel.

My friends wish their trailers had brakes. Go with electric brakes if you have the choice. My brother's has hydraulic brakes, they work well, but you have to put a pin in them to back up (some models have fixed this). His hydraulic brakes cannot be adjusted on the fly.

Get a single axle if you can, it is cheaper on toll roads.

The cheapest trailers are kinda flimsy, I don't like the way they bounce, like surveyor said.

Another thing I like about steel is I can weld on it and change it if I don't like something. Also, if a friend borrows it a breaks or bends it, I can deal with it much easier.

On the other hand,I really like every triton I have seen. No painting, no rusting. Gas savings.

Here is a picture of 3 quads on a triton: http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/index.cg...r02&pic=59

This triton has the axle far enough to the rear that it can safely be towed with the load this far back (scrambler is lightest).

4 quads in 16ft landscape trailer: http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/index.cg...anca&pic=1

These big landscap trailers fishtail if not properly loaded.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hotdog,

I have a Worthington 2 place that I tow behind my Yukon XL without a problem. So far I'm really happy with it. I added a spare tire, tounge jack and a bunch of that conspicuity reflective tape they use on tractor trailers and the like.

Don't use a hitch with a drop in them because the trailer sits high. Also, use your mirrors - the trailer sticks out from the truck on each side far enough that you appreciate the marker lights.

http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/ATV.htm

Regards,
Eric

Quick Reply: what to look for in a ATV trailer