Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is an Good Times Protection Plan needed for a 650?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< Uh 48 months is 4 years[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

Jesus I've forgotten how to count!

Old 06-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

I'm the business manager at a local Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda shop in the KC metro area, I am the guy who does all the finance, insurance and extended warranty sales and registration. Some dealers are gouging people on the prices of the extended warranties for nothing but pure profit to the dealership. I sell all of our extended warranties for suggested retail price. Kawasaki as of May 1st has changed the price of the GTPP (good times protection plan). Up until May 1st you could only extend your factory warranty a total of 36 months. Now they have a 48 month plan available for almost all units. I will double check the prices and reply tommorrow evening. I was never a big extended warranty guy but usually on a major purchase it is worth the money. I bought a 2000 Mojave back in march of 2000 and the wife was the one that pushed me to buy the warranty. I am glad that she did now. I have had the stator, pulsing coil and CDI box recently replaced by the GTPP and in parts and labor it saved me over $800.00. Hell the stator alone (genuine Kawasaki) retails for $399.00. All it takes is one claim and the warranty has already saved you money. Alot of people have had a bad experience or have been pressured into buying these and sometimes that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths. AFterall it is your money to spend, just do some research in to the cost of repairs and weigh the options to see if purchasing one is right for you. With the cost of parts and labor anymore it is a good investment to make. Look at it this way, if you never have to use it, thats great, but it was also nice having a little piece of mind knowing that had you needed it it was there for you. Look at it just like you would look at any insurance policy, you don't need it unless something goes wrong.

Old 06-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I realized the change after I posted the other day...I don't get involved in F &amp; I very much. We sell our GTPPs for retail too and like you said it's insurance. We've seen only a few 650s with any trouble and we've gotten fifty or so out there so that's not bad.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I am confused, If they all sell for the same from Kawasaki, then why do the two dealers close to me tell me that the warranties are &quot;much higher&quot; for a P650 than for any other quad?

Old 06-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< I am confused, If they all sell for the same from Kawasaki, then why do the two dealers close to me tell me that the warranties are &quot;much higher&quot; for a P650 than for any other quad? >>

The aren't lying to you... The 650 warranties ARE higher than the others... the 360 Prairie and KSF400 (suzuki LTZ400) 48 month (uh..4 year) warranty is $580 while all the others are $550.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I tell you what, I have the upmost confidence in my 650. I have 1500 VERY VERY VERY hard miles on it and I have yet to have one problem. I run 27&quot; 589's and beat the snot out of this bike. But I would not dare do that if I hadn't gotten the three year extended warranty. I bought mine on E-bay for $290 from Koup's Kawasaki. My local dealer wanted $570. But even at $570 it would be worth it. Just start pricing some the electrical componants on the 650, it will scare you into buying the warranty. Insurance is great but it wont cover a burnt out fuel punt or worn seals. I have insurance on mine only because it was required by my bank. And lets not forget the transferability of the warranty. That makes for a god selling point if you ever need to get rid of your machine. I plan on keeping my bike for another year or so and then sell it for the 2004 or 5 model of the 650.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

YEAH! These knew bikes come with a fuel &quot;PUNT&quot; What an idiot!

Old 06-13-2002, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

How did you get one for $290??? The only one I see at koups is $380!

Old 06-15-2002, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

warranties suck....... work on your own bike.
Even if you don't know how to work on your own bike, it is in your best interest to purchase a service manual &amp; do the work yourself. Or take it to a respectable shop. Dealers are good at selling bikes, not working on them!

Old 06-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

2fat4moto,
I'm not worried about working on my own bike, cause I know I can figure out what needs to be done. The problem alot of times for people is that they dont have the money to pay for the expensive parts that they need to replace or fix. I know thats what it is for me. Its just on less thing I'll have to worry about paying for if anything goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Is an Good Times Protection Plan needed for a 650?