Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV's VS DirtBikes in Trails and whoops

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys, here is the scoop. I have rode atv's for over 20 years and most of the guys I ride with are on quads which I have no problem runing with. But, In started riding with one of the guys from work that rides a KTM520 and smoke's (it's not the power advanage of his bike) me in the whoops in the trails. I feel that I am a damn good rider on a quad but, he has started talking me into getting a bike. I have rode both bikes and quads all my life but I have not rode on a quad in competition with a bike. Basically, how does your dirt bike bud run with you on really rough terrain. I love the 400EX in the dunes and was planning on the KFX400 for my trail and MX quad but now I am thinking about a KX250. The Tecate will stay and my wifes Lakota will stay but I just wonder how other quad guys stack up to bikes.

Old 06-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

It seems bike smoke quads in many places. I rode a CR 250 and IT465 for a while. I also rode a quadzilla and currently a P650. I always could go better on anything dry, flat, bumpy, rocky, dirt, steep hills.

Bikes suck against quads in the following
1. Mud
2. Slippery (raining)
3. Snow
4. Uphills boulders, big bumps (It seems bikes get stopped a lot and eat it way more)
5. Logs? I think.
6. Deer hunting.
7. Plowing driveway.
8. Sand (my brother with the built banshee rides on sand moutain and says 2 stroke ATV rules there)
9. Hauling sprayers
10. Pulling reel mower gangs.
11. A guy named "Surveyor" straps his equipment all over his ATV, can't do that on a bike.

I probably listed a few utility related ATV advantages that maybe don't belong in a reply to your question. You cross them out mentally (don't use a crayon on the screen).

Which is the most fun? Where I ride, the ATV is more fun.

Old 06-22-2002, 10:30 PM
ztn
Trailblazer

I had a KX85 keeping up with me on my tecate 4 today. He wasn't faster but he kept up nicely. My quad's geared down for torque too but still...that says something about bikes. Bikes have a power to weight advantage that can't be ignored. BUT, all the same, I'll stay on the quad. No quad of similar engine displacement and power to a bike will out run the bike in terms of top speed...(i.e. KXF vs. KX 250 is really no contest in a drag race) BUT, it's takes quite a bit more effort be as fast on that same bike when the going gets rough. I went from my 86 KX80 to a brand new Blaster back in 87 and I never looked back. 4 wheels ever since. I don't miss the bike's advantages.

Old 06-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

I am so sore today from a day of pounding through the whoops against a bike that was faster through them than me. The quad has alot of extra weigh you need to control. Well, I had a blast anyway.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Quads are harder to ride MX with. I enjoy the challange more so then bikes. But I still ride both.

Old 06-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Quads can make you look really good too. Like when you hit a jump and get crooked in the air... it doesn't feel cool but when you are watchin it from the side lines, it looks like you meant to do it and that you really know how to throw a heavy machine through the air [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. J/K, I love quads and would NEVER switch. You can go farther easier when racing quads (I'm talkin about goin to the Nationals and doing good since there isn't as much competition). MX is kind of weird around here because while some guys don't like quad racers and think they mess everything up, at the same time, they think we're crazy for jumping 350 + lbs machines, and a lot of times goin just as big as the bikes. Find as many reasons as you can why a dirt bike is better than a quad and you will find just as many reasons why a quad is better than a dirt bike. It all comes down to what you have more fun riding. Just remember that if you ride quads, getting on a dirtbike is really fun because it's something different but once you get used to it, it will be just like anything else.

Old 06-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Man, are you out of your mind! I can blow any quad away on a mini bike on any terrain. Get a hold of yourself man, this is a 520! The baddist dirt bike made at the moment. This is why I do not understand why people buy sport quads. If you want to go fast & jump, get a dirt bike. If you want to PLAY around & just have a good time, get a quad. I have one for both occasions. You should too!

Old 06-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Quads are all about power sliding. On terrain where sliding is key (ex. gravel fire roads, flat track, Pikes Peak), quads have a distinct advantage. For just about every other situation a dirt bike's are much faster. Example? Last years Baja 1,000 winner was on an XR650R. Not just for the dirt bike class, or motorcycle/quads, but ALL entries, including the mega buck SCORE trucks.

Old 06-23-2002, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

2fat4moto said it best. I rode bikes for many many years. Now I want to relax a little and quads are great. Bikes have just as much power, half as much weight, more suspension and make a smaller footprint-meaning you can pick better lines. If ya wanta go fast on trails or tracks, it's two wheels for sure. The only place I can think of where quads might rule is the sand.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

The bike will win hands down everytime, but it doesn't mean the quad is a lesser machine. I have fun on both and I can't decide which I like better so I bought one of each [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Most of the time I'm on the KX500, but when I get a little tired, I get on the T4 (riding it hard kicks my *** pretty good). Keep the quad and get a bike, too. Best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: ATV's VS DirtBikes in Trails and whoops