Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what gps are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When shopping, try Boatersworld.com. I bought a Garmin GPS III Plus from them and saved quite a bit. When you go there, enter Garmin in the search field and you'll see about six pages of Garmin GPS units and related accessories. There are other makes of GPS also. My Garmin GPS III Plus works fine but I would recommend the Garmin GPS V for more memory. I'll send you a picture of how I mounted mine if you're interested. Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have one of the oiginal E-Trex and it has worked well so far. I had the same experience as Preacherman with Boatersworld.com, so check them in your shopping.

Sgt_Rock

Old 07-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Here is one more thing to think about in you shopping. I don't know if all receivers are created equal, but I have a wooden box on the back of my 650. I went riding all weekend and turned my etrex legend on and threw it in the box with all of other junk. I got to this particular spot that I liked, so I decided to mark it so I could get back, I took out my legend and it had been recieving all day long from INSIDE my box. I had a track log of everywhere that I had ridden without having to have it mounted anywhere that it might get damaged. Just a thought!

Old 07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Banned

Hi Metallikev,

I see that you are purchasing a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin this month. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this machine and which GPS you are looking to purchase. I will be purchasing one in October of this year.

Thanks,

IronBear

Old 07-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have the simpliest eTrex (yellow one). It is extrememly easy to use, cheap, gets me back home. Most imporantly, it has not broken yet. It fell off a couple of times until I learned to tie the laynard to the shift ****.

I bought a simple cell phone holder at Walmart and stuck it to the top of the air box cover. I was very please with it until it broke in half this weekend at the Hatfiel McCoy trails. (didn't hurt the GPS).

Old 07-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there Bear..Ill let you know 'bout the Kawi as soon as I pick it up and run it for a whileI hope to take delivery tuesday(tommarow)the dealer says come hell or high water itll be there..(damn well better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
Not sure about the gps yet tho,If I go to Tugg hill or something maybe..but where I am you'd have to be dead or dumb or both to get lost!! Im sure Ill be talikng up a storm after I get it tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

If your going to get a GPS check out www.gpscity.com

They have the best prices I found and are fast with shipping. They have the Garmin GPS V for only 369.00 dollars which is a great price. I did silly research on GPS's and what features are good and nice to have the the GPS V is the cat's @ss of GPS's. I had a Garmin GPS III Plus and it was nice, but it only had 1.44 megs of memory. You could barely put in any maps. I brought that unit back and got the gps V and it has 19 megs of memory which can hold a ton of maps. With the Mapsource raods and recreations cd I can put in the entire state of michigan and the entire route from my house in chicago up to michigan through wisconsin and still have like 8 megs left over. With the low memory units your lucky if you can even get 2 counties in the GPS. My friend has a Garmen Extrex Vista which is the top of the line unit of the extrex series ands its nice, but it has an internal antena and the screen is small. It does have 24 megs of memory though which is a bit more than the GPS V, but the bigger screen on the GPS V Is a big plus. Anyway, whatever one you decide to get is your decision, but check out that gps city site they have really great prices. Hope any info I gave helps..

Happy Riding