Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what gps are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what gps units does everyone run.. im trying to decide if I want 1 but dont know what to get..any opinions????

Old 07-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I had an early model Magellan that I finally had to throw away. Replaced it with a Garmin e-trex and have been extremely pleased with it.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

do you have it mounted on your machine?..was wondering what kind of abuse they take.was looking at a garmin 2 (?) on ebay for a hundred bucks... which garmin etrex..theres a 1 meg unit and the 1 with a compass and altimeter..with 24 megs..that ones $350

Old 07-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't over look the Magellan Meridians. I have the Gold and I like it alot. It is a little bigger than the e-trex but I and others like the SD card expandable memory up to 128megs for about $75 now. And the speed at which that 128 megs can be uploaded to the gsp via a USB reader attached to your computer is a big plus. Now you can save tracks and waypoint to the SD card. The Meridians are surposed to have better reception under tree cover. I have not compared but I do not have any problems creating tracks while riding under the pine trees of central and south Miss. Yahoo has a good Magellan Meridian forum that is full of info.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

hey thanks for the additional input..Ill check that one out too...theres a lot of models out and for the price of these I want the best for less[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Metallikev,

I have a Garmin E-trex legend. I wouldn't go any less than that. The one that you spoke of (the vista) has alot of stuff that you would probably not need, such as the compass. It really isn't that accurate unless you are moving, and then, the regular gps feature would perform the same task. I did a lot of research on them before I bought mine (almost a year ago) and it was the best deal out there for a tough, shock resistant, compact unit. It works wonderfully well (most times I am accurate down to 15 - 20 feet!) There is a new garmin that is coming out, I think it's called the Rino) anyway, it has a build in FRS radio. The great thing is that if your riding buddies have one also, everytime you communicate with each other, you can update where you are in relationship to each other. This sure beats the heck out of, "hey, let's meet at noon down at that one big tree...you know, that big one with the limbs". You have been around enough to know how that one ends...the next time you see each other is at the football party the next fall!

Old 07-06-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the Magellan Sportrak Map. I think it's the perfect size, easy to learn, and has nice features for the price. I bought mine for $175.

Old 07-07-2002, 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have a garmin GPS V....to me its awesome. You can get it for about 370 dollars and its werth every penny. It has auto routing and 19 megs of memory. I had a garmin gps plus but brought it back and waited for the GPS V to come out. You want alot of memory trust me..! Anyway here are pics of the unit and mount.

GPS V PICS

if ya have anymore questions message me or email me...

happy riding

Old 07-07-2002, 07:38 AM
Range Rover

Hey Lackdog, that's pretty cool how you post a link for the pictures. Are options available on this site to post links or do you have your own site?

Old 07-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

hey all thanks for replies...Im gonna do a little more reseasrch on this before i make a decision..still waiting on delivery of the 03 650 anyhow...any day now..I hope...