Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P-650 riders at the Hatfiled/McCoyTrails in October

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is at the Bottom of West Virginia in Logan

Old 07-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Monte--- It is the Colonial Motel in Man W.Va. 304-583-6138
For those camping, there is the Devil Anse Campground in Ethel W.Va., it is 1/4 mile away from the Bear Wallow Trailhead(Dingess Rum Trails). You can ride onto the trails from camp. There are other camps around, but I don't know anything about them. Oh yeah, Paradise Island Camp is 5 mi. S. of Man on Rt.80.
Please remember that the Colonial Motel is a "no frills" place. No pool, no sauna. There is a seperate bar and restaurant and a carry out/convenience store, though. When I stayed there, ALL I wanted was a shower and a good bed, that they have. It is no Radison, but it is very cheap. $40/nite-single, $45/dble. is what it was last January.
SORRY---I was looking at a 2001 calender when I said 10/6. The 1st Sat. in October '02, how's that?

Old 07-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

The camping idea doesn't sound bad either. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right Calander

Old 07-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Those interested in camping-- please remember that it can get pretty chilly in those mtns. from mid Sept., onword. Last October 10th, it frosted lightly, when I was down there.
For those wanting a nicer motel, Logan and Williamson would be the place to look. I only require clean, basic amenities.

Old 07-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will be there trx 450. I just have 2 question what do u do with your quad when your asleep and how far is Man from the trail?

eric

Old 07-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

grandorvis--- The town of Man has DIRECT access to the the Rockhouse trailhead AND the new trail the goes over to Gilbert. Both towns are "ATV friendly", meaning-- obey the usual traffic laws and the local law ignores you. Pop wheelies down Main St., they'll hang you!
In answer to your question about securing the quads. When staying at the Colonial Motel in Man, the owner will show you how/where to secure your machine. When camping, I chain mine down to the truck, and sleep with a 9mm Beretta. I carry insurance also.
Glad to see that a number of you have an interest in a get together/ride. It will be interesting to see just how many REALLY SHOW UP on Oct. 5th!!!!

Old 07-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

TRX, are you saying that you can ride from the Colonial in Man to the Rockhouse trailhead? We did the trail from Man to Gilbert. We then rode around gilbert, ate lunch, refueled, and headed back. There were some really nice people there who stop by, ask where you are from etc.

The "shorter" of the two ways to get there is the trickiest coming over the mountain. My wife and I had no problems because we have 4bys. We then talked with a couple that were about 20 minutes behind us on sport quads and they had a hard time because of the long climbs in loose rock.

As far as securing the quads, we are planning a cargo trailer, but until then, we have found that a $10 each investment into Defcon laptop security cables are added piece of mind. You just click the retractable cable like a bicycle lock and if the cable is cut, it gives off a piercing alarm. BTW they are $10 on ebay and about $50 in the store.

Sorry for the rambling, it is just that HM is the best place to ride that I have ever seen. It is well worth our 3.5 hour trip.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

jlpier01--- YES you can ride from anywhere in/around Man to the Rockhouse Trailhead. NOW THEN, you will have to trailer bikes to the Bear Wallow T.H.(Dingess-Rum Trails), unless you camp at Devil Anse campground.
I would agree, these trails are the best I have ridden. I am told that Windrock in Tenn. is awesome, too. Mite go down there next spring.
My drive time from central Ohio to H/M is 4-1/2hr.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Do you need to carry extra fuel or are the gas stations real close to trail heads? Do you have to trailer the machines to the trail from the Colonial Motel or can you ride it?

Old 07-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

monte--- It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a little extra fuel. I can usually plan the loops to come back to the trucks, but I have never ridden the P-650 down there. I should get @12 mpg there, so we can do up to 50mi. loops.
See my earlier post RE: Trailhead access. Also see; www.trailsheaven.com

Quick Reply: P-650 riders at the Hatfiled/McCoyTrails in October