Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Snorkel/TwinAir/jetting...First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here goes.

Last week I installed the Diamond G Racing Snorkle, TwinAir filter and Dynojet kit. I also, at 680 miles, changed the oil for the third time and I also drained the coolant and replaced with 75% water, 25% anti-freeze and several ounces of Moto-Cool additive.

This past weekend (Sat & Sun) we made a trip up to Maine where there are miles and miles of unbelievably flat & smooth snowmobile trails. We rode a total of 121 miles and the 650 ran like a top. No problems whatsoever, in fact the quad ran better than it did before I did these mods and replaced the fluids. We ran the quads HARD. I've never been on trails so smooth and flat where you could hold WIDE-OPEN THROTTLE for minutes at a time. Average speed of the entire trip was probably somewhere around 40 mph...and that was putting along taking in the scenery...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Top speed on my 650 w/ 26" Mudrunners was 62 mph on flat ground, but it's not how fast it's how you get there right?

So what about the Diamond G Snorkle ($63 after shipping), TwinAir Filter ($25 after shipping) and Dynojet ($88 after shipping) mods? For $176, no doubt the best mod you can make (of whats available for the 650 right now). These mods WOKE the 650 right up. Overall the bike is even more responsive than before (if you can imagine) and pulls/revs harder and faster. As for power gains, I'm not sure in horsepower numbers, but high range wheelie's were non-existent on pavement before the mods and low range wheeleis were achievable with a good yank on the handlebars. Now, if your in high just punch it and pull/lean back, she'll come right up. In low range, forget about it, if you hit the throttle the front end comes RIGHT UP w/out any body language...and with ease. I would love to know how many ponies I gained, it's gotta be 3-5 at least. Going up gravel hills I would ride wheelies up just for fun, and because it was actually smoother ride.

The throttle response is way better and it pulls harder. It makes the quad that much more fun to ride. I was riding w/ Grizzlys and 500 H.O. Sportsmans...I took those machines off the line but they all hung real close. Top end was a dead heat w/ all of us cruising around 60-62 mph, but the sportsman almost seemed like he had a little more as I had a hard time catching him at times (when I was wide open). But none of these machines could take a corner sideways at 50 mph, while spinning the rear tires in COMPLETE CONTROL while spitting rocks and gravel all over them as they lock up their brakes to attempt to make the turn .

I can't wait to put a pipe on and see what the Diamond G Racing mystery black box can do. I am dying to hear a pipe on a modded 650. Or for that matter, I can't wait to hear what a modded 650 w/ black box and a pipe sounds like at 65 mph!!!!!

BEARMAN: If you read this, let me commend you and Diamond G Racing for a job well done on the snorkle. It was worth every penny. Put me on the list for TWO CDI Boxes, my buddy wants one too. When do you think they will be ready, September-October? What kinds of gains will be had?

Old 07-29-2002, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

Parker650,
We have basically the same set up. I have added 5 Unifilters in my front cover to let a little air into the inlet. I have been very satisfied with mine. I think another difference is that I have a HMF slip on pipe. So far the only thing that has smoked me in a drag is a Banshee. This week end I am going to run a Raptor. I sure dont have much hope for that either. At least no 4X4 has come close yet! I think that I got the most gain from the
Diamond G snorkel. It is really a quality part!! Have a goodun!!!!!

Old 07-29-2002, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

that snorkle sounds like the shhtuff..but I hate too rejet..that is a wicked pain in the arrss...having the dealer do it out of the question..they want too much $$ for labour

Old 07-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Parker650,
What did you jet at and what notch on your needle did you use?

Old 07-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

I jetted using 128 in the front and 132 in the back, as Dynojet instructs. I ran the needle on the 4th notch (Dynojet says 5th notch) as others on this forum has done and it has run better. This is right on the money. I don't have an exhaust, but I do have TwinAir filter and Diamond G Snorkle. It woke the machine right up...I'm very happy...but still WANT MORE!!! HMF and CDI BOX are next on the list.

Metallikev: I was VERY skeptical about rejetting too. I wasn't going to pay someone else to do it, and besides I wanted to get to know the quad a little bit. It was pretty easy though, to tell you the truth. The ONLY thing you have to worry about is stripping screws b/c they are in tough spots. My buddy Eric jetted his 650 the very next day after I jetted mine. he watched me strip screws and he took his time. He didn't strip 1 single screw and was done in less than 1.5 hours. Just tedious. I'd say give it a shot, it ain't that bad.

ROSS: Check your PMs..

Old 07-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Just make shure you have good tips on your philips screw driver if you do you won't have as many problems with stripping screws.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

well parker,In truth i have rejetted my old Wolverine..it was kind of pain..and being that this machine has 2 carbs I figured it would be twice the pain in the arrss..I dunno..maybe ill try it...wouldnt it be cheaper to get some larger jets from a dealer instead of Dyno..they want a ton a money for a few bucks worth of jets,doesnt seem ike a very good deal..

Old 07-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

ok parker..where did you get your filter and kit from...Ive searched all over the net and havnt come up with nothing!???...found the snorkle tho.

Old 07-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Where can I get the Diamonf G Racing Snorkel?

Old 07-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Snorkel/TwinAir/jetting...First Ride