Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bent 650 handlebar shaft !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a little backwards flop, I straightened the handlebars so they would quit bumping me in the knees every time i turned.
I noticed the shaft that runs from the handlebars down to front end is bent towards the air cleaner right to the plastic. I don't see any supports down along the shaft untill it gets to the bottom. No stretch marks anywhere. Weld at bottom is a o.k. should I attempt to rebend back to original position, what would you do? Mechanics? Anyone?

Old 08-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

In our shop we don't try to bend anything back into shape that has anything to do with steering. Anytime you bend something the metal is weakened and your risk of whatever you bent breaking is greatly increased and is very dangerous. If you can imagine your steering post breaking while going 65 down a tight fire road or even on a slow rocky decent, it could get ugly in a hurry. If you asked anyone in our shop we would replace it no questions asked. What ever the cost, it's not worth the risk. That's my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

DITTO--- TOO RISKY, replace it.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yep! Replace the thing. It's a doit yourselfer as long as you're mechanical minded. Cost of the shaft is about $140 if I remember right. Granted it's a pain to pull all the plastic but it is rather straight forward. Just pay attention to all the washers and so on to get them back in the right places and you'll be fine.

You'll find it's bent at the upper support where the shaft is turned down. Saved my original, cut out the ends and replaced the tube with a piece of 6061 solid after turning for the upper support. Now I'm ready for the next time.

Old 08-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot guys, the replacement idea sounds a little safer. Looks like i better get to work on her. Thanks again

Old 08-07-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Doghouse...

In the past (and you can check my previous posts) I have bitched about the schmucks who own kawi dealerships.
Most are totaly worthless. However, my brother lives in Mount Pleasant, and I was riding with him one weekend. My prairie was running like CRAP due to the jetting and "service" a previous dealership had provided. (I took it to 2 different dealerships in Salt Lake/Ogden...both had it done a poor job) Anyway your dealership was very accomodating. They took time from thier busy schedule and squooze me in and fixed my problems...it has since ran like a champ. Thanks! In the future I will be driving to Mount Plesant for all my service and when it comes time I will purchase my machines from your dealership. I have passed the word on previous posts all in all its good to see a quality dealership who cares about the products they sale

I think I'm going to cry...

Old 08-07-2002, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

Dangerous-- You didn't record the dimensions, or make a drawing of this replacement shaft, did you? I will most likely do the same, fix mine.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Dash, we do our best. I look forward to seeing you again.

Old 08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< Dangerous-- You didn't record the dimensions, or make a drawing of this replacement shaft, did you? I will most likely do the same, fix mine. >>

What I did was pick up the new shaft and before I installed it fabricated a simple jig that would establish length and pitch of both ends for welding. Sorry, didn't even take any measurments. Was quite simple, and only took 30 min or so to fab up the jig. I've since used the jig for other things. The pita part was boring the 2 ends in the mill to accept a new shaft. If you don't have access to a machine shop it could get expensive, otherwise it's just rather straight forward.

TRX450 I'm sorry I'm not more helpfull. At the time I did this it was only an experiment in what I felt was a better mousetrap. If you decide to do this I'll help any way I can.