Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

**Mojave Won't Start (Need quick advice)**

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok here is the problem- my mojave won't start. i am getting spark and there is plenty of compression, and the engine is getting fuel. the only way it would start is if i take out the spark plug and put fogging oil into the cylinder. after i do this i have to kick it for a very long time (30mins-1hour)until it will fire up. once it starts up it seems to run fine except for that it will not idle(it just shuts down when sitting for a period of time). i am thinking that the valves are out of adjustment(machine has over 100 hours and they were never adjusted). please give me any advice on how to make the machine at least start easier.

Old 08-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know this sounds stupid, but did you put a new plug in it? If so did you gap it properly? If you didn't replace the plug, I would do so...you
can have spark with the spark plug out of the engine, but it may not produce spark under compression (weak plug). Doesn't sound like valves, it would run but tap like crazy. Also make sure your choke isn't sticking. Check your air filter, if it's clogged it will flood the engine. Put dry-gas in the tank, it could have water in it. Take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and clean it out. SO many things can cause this problem, I'll try to list as many as possible. Also be more descriptive....when did it start doing this? Has it been sitting? Was it left out in the weather? Before this how was it running? Ok back to your problem......check your timing chain, it could be so loose that it jumped a tooth. Make sure the case vent isn't blocked. Just pray it's not the CDI box.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion....only an opinion.....If the valves were too tight it wouldn't have good compression,the compression would leak out past the valves.Wont idle huh.....sounds like a carb problem or a vacuum leak.

Old 08-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

i checked the valves, the intake valve was very tight(a .006 feeler gauge would not fit in that is how tight). so right now it is getting dark so i decided to adjust the valves tomorrow morning. do you think that being so tight could be the problem?

Old 08-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

Just an idea..... check the location on the carburetor where the choke cable is connected. The threads on the end of the cable are plastic and wear quickly or strip easily, especially when you remove and return the carb often. If the vacuum here is bad the engine will not start. At least thats been my experience....

Old 08-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

BlackKSF would that cause it to run real lean? I have had a problem with mine running lean to the point of melting a piston and can not figure out why.could this be it?

Old 08-12-2002, 03:21 AM
Trailblazer

Well, if the choke cable allows excess air to pass through the carb I suppose it could run lean. Chances are that if the plastic threads are bad, it won't run. What I noticed with mine was that the cable end was not sealing so the choke diaphram wasn't moving. The engine just wouldn't start with that much air flow. I wrapped pipe tape around it to test the seal and sure enough it was bad. Once I received the part (for once it was possible to buy a single piece!) it was about a 5 minute fix.........

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i hav a 89 kawasaki mojave with no spark at all put new cdi box no change to the problem when u put spark plug in its not the easiest to kick start so wat could it be i need help and need it fast