Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Sticking in gears in Lakota?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i could do that..its like the 400ex etc. but i guess theres no need right now

Old 08-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

ugh i tried the clutch stuff, gaff, but it didnt work..i suppose i could just wait awhile and c how it goes and ask them about it when i have the dealer tune it up....it works fine when ive ridin it for like 1/2 hour or so but just starting out cold it doesnt work well...also i think they might just need to get warn in more..its only 3 days old

Old 08-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Normally when we can't shift down to reverse or up to first easy without rocking it on the bayou and lakota it means they need the clutch adjusted. But reading this and talking to my son he reminded me if the idle is to high or the choke is on it's hard to shift period. I remember one time he had the choke on and put it in reverse Backed into our fence and he couldn't get it out of gear. He just shut it off and left it half climbed up the fence, walked in the house and told me to go get my daughters quad off the fence, lol

The lakota's stock clutch doesn't work well at all untill it completely warms up. What I mean if you put your hand under the crank case that it still stays pretty cool even after the top end and exhaust become very hot. I've also noticed the stock clutch works mutch better with a 10W40 oil compared to a 20W50 oil.

But any way, check if your idle seems a bit high.

Old 08-21-2002, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

It still maybe your clutch!! Above adjustments are off a little.... To adjust, loosen that locknut... turn the inside bolt in untill you feel resistance and Back off 1/8 of a turn.........( NOT BACK OUT UNTILL YOU FEEL RESISTANCE) Hold the inside bolt still and tighten locknut. Also the reverse cable is adjustable too.
And as said above by GAFF, if idle is to high it has a hell of a time going into reverse and 1st.

Old 08-21-2002, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer

ok well i do have my idle as high as it can go(which isnt very high) but ill try that too..and toy truck...i dont kno where u got the 1/8 of a turn but maybe ill try it...cuz i went by gaff and the owners manual said the same thing(loosen the locknut...turn the screw clockwwise until u feel resistance then back counterclockwise until u feel resistance) but i was thinkin wouldnt that just put it right back where u started off? but i just did what the owners man. said...but ill try my idle...since its as high as it can go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2002, 08:49 AM
Trailblazer

Nevdermind i didnt have it as high as it could go...if i did that'd be rather high!!! i had it at half...but still that didnt work..and my chokes off so i dont kno...the gears probably just need to get warn in! ill have the dealer check it out at the tune up

Old 08-24-2002, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

i guess ill havew to deal with it for a while..its not that bad but it just bothers me that its brand new and it does that

Old 08-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I adjusted the cable adjustment on the left side of the engine near the foot peg. This may help, however, over adjustment will not allow the reverse gear to engage and under adjustment will keep the reverse engaged. Also, I think the N/R/1 shifts got better when I switched to 20w50 oil.

Old 08-25-2002, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

That use to happen to me too when i first bought my Lakota Sport.Im not saying it doesnt any more but,at least its not that often that i can remember.Ever since i changed to 10-40 Castrol Synthetic ive noticed its getting the gears better.Youd probably want to try a diff brand of oil or adjust the clutch(I havent and ive had it since last Dec).Good luck lakota pal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

hello my wifes lakota does the same thing when she is trying to shift. If she does not rock it then it wont shift. Hey gaff so you think I need to adjust the clutch and change oil weight?

Quick Reply: Sticking in gears in Lakota?