Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

CDI wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HE HE I just found something out today hehe I can reprogram my CDI shhhhhhhhhhhh I will give details when I get the rest of the info from a friend who does mapping for Kawasaki streeters. When I get the know you get the know so let's hope we can find something out I took him a CDI unit I bought online from a ATV Salvage yard to see if he can get into it... He says he is almost positive he can...

Old 08-31-2002, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

If you can build a c.d.i with the correct mapping I will help you with the correct settings for free. My biggest mistake was trying to get the original builder of the c.d.i units to sell me new units made to my specifications. I am currently working with a company who can repair our existing c.d.i units and when he is done they will have a new mapping program inside. These will be available on an exchange basis. If anyone has the knowledge to make this happen I will gladly let them take the lead on this but keep in mind at least one other company has thrown up there hands and gave up trying, and we have wasted several c.d.i units having a local electrical shop try to modify the existing set up like you guys are talking about here. I am not saying it can't be done in fact I really hope it can, maybe we are overlooking the obvious. We have many other things we would like to pursue rather than spending all of our time and resources trying to build what was supposed to be a fairly easy item. Let me know if I can help with anything including free dyno time
Bearman

Old 08-31-2002, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

1 Bearman I am under the understanding that the boxes can be adjusted with a ROM reload like the streetbikes and cannondales becuase of the manufacturer that build them Mitsubishi sales the same unit for street bikes and Kawasaki just remaps the box for the correct application. I may have been misinformed I hope not as he does a lot of race bikes out of his shop and I think he is pretty knowledgable about the ignitions on Kaws and Suzukis.

Old 08-31-2002, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

I really hope so, this would be great for all of us
Bearman

Old 08-31-2002, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Bearman what do you mean by another company has thrown up their hands trying to make one. I thought you had legal not technical problems. What gives?

Old 08-31-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Another company was working on the c.d.i as well as me, they soon learned about the amount of work, research, and dyno time that goes into a project like this. If you read some past post on this topic you will see that I mentioned another company was working on the c.d.i as well. Yes we ran into some legal problems but it will not stop us, just slow us down some.
Bearman

Old 08-31-2002, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I might not be thinking straight but..... if Kawasaki makes another v-twin 650 could we use the CDI off that????

Old 09-01-2002, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

UMM..YEA..WHAT HE SAID..

Old 09-01-2002, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thank god you are still planning on making one as it sounded like you had given up. I for one would be willing to pay big money. I regularly drive with a fellow who has a 500 scrambler and although I humiliate him off the line he does eventually catch up and pass given enough room.
Then all I hear is how a little 500 single can go faster than my 633 V-twin. It makes me so mad that kawi would design such an incredible engine and then choke it off in so many ways.
Dont give up bearman....

Old 09-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Update box will read but will not take any writes...We worked all night and all day yesterday I did not come home until 2 AM last night trying to cut the box apart to see if we can schematically defeat the thing. May have a write protected ROM or possibly a hard coded ROM however if it is hardcoded he believes we can replace the rom with one like they used to do or piggy back the thing like they have done in GM products.... I will keep you informed on the progress...

OK he presented me with an idea that I have no clue 1 Bearman did you make an interface to interface the Computer with a Laptop yet??? He has one for streetbikes however we do not know the values to start with in this case there is no reference as we have not broke the unit down yet and he said if we started wrong we could destroy the components as well as work months or years trying to figure out why??

Quick Reply: CDI wiring question