Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

CDI wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our goal was to make an entirely new c.d.i box with our own encoded format, we have two prototypes but they were VERY expensive to make and we infringed on copyrited material [by accident]. I will never give up until this thing is whipped, it just became way more complex and expensive than first anticipated. Here is how we are going to proceed, I have one of the top electronics rebuilders in So.Cal. working on reprograming [rebuilding] our existing c.d.i units and they will have entirely new mapping and encoding set to my specefications. I appologize for the delay and if I had known how involved this entire process would have been, the announcement that we were making the c.d.i would have came when we were near completion. I know that some of you are upset it is taking so long but if anyone wants to take a class in advanced c.d.i building, feel free and I will help in any way possible. Hang in there guys I want the magic box to be a reality just as much as you ,maybe more.
Bearman

Old 09-02-2002, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, Dustin, I hope you get somewhere with that lead of yours.

I went riding and did not answer a few questions.

Prairie633, the build your own kit is kinda sketchy, here.. It is for an old yamaha, and looks stinky. I also found some decent plans from motorola, but you would have to be more electrically inclined than me to figure it out. I would have to take wuite a few classes to figure this stuff out. This stuff is nowhere near ready for anyone to stick on their 650.

Prairie633, Haltech has a real quality solution, at $415, but from the options list on their price sheet, there is a possiblilty that we would need a trigger, or wire kit or something and it could add $50 to $200 more to get the needed accessories. It also is not waterproof. Haltech says you could probably waterproof it youself. After wiring it up, you hook this thing to a PC, run a program to configure it (and keep testing, and adjusting). You can also make this thing run other accessories, like nitrous triggers and such. I can run any engine, even odd firing like the 650, from 1-4, 6, or 8 cylinders). I don't need this level of sophistication, and am really hoping for 1Bearman to pull through, and I bet he charges a lot less than $415 (or $615).

Horseman, I thought of CDI's from other engines, but don't know what to expect with it. If the mag pickup is not at the same index, you gotta get a circuit to delay the pulse at best, or more problems at worst. Dyna actually makes performance aftermarket CDI systems for V-twin road bikes. I think that they have CDI systems to fit Kawasaki vulcans. I emailed them and asked them if I could get one to work and they said no. I don't know if that was a knowlegeable "no", or a bubble gum blower or a nail polisher that found "no" a lot easier answer to give me.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

1Bearman: Was the infringement hardware or software related? If I knew what the current CDI was schematically or what functions it performs it would be a start. Is there a lack of cooperation from the manufacturer on these specs and why? They are probably using a controller IC with security features that once they are written, prevents outside access through the IC pins. Just knowing the inputs and outputs of the stock unit would be needed for a new design. If I can map out the stock cdi's transfer functions than I would try to build a re-programmable prototype. It would probably be a bit big and costly. Once the correct settings are realized, the design could be reduced to a simpler design with only an adjustable rev limiter or choice of a few different advance curves, and packaged. If I can figure out at least the inputs, I have access to equipment that can replicate the timing/level of these signals and can map the outputs in the lab. It would also help if I knew what conditions of timing are not permitted (min and max advance vs. RPM)? I do a lot of electronic reverse engineering in my job but it is not related to engine controlling in any way and so I would have to know the safe operating parameters to do something like this. The good thing is that the engine could be simulated in the lab to safety test the units outputs before running it on the engine.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Prairie633, This is interesting.

Hey 1Bearman, are you still planning to send me some exhaust photos?

Old 09-03-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc, that processor is only $3.76 from Digi-key. The IGBT may cost a few bucks, but the rest looks pretty inexpensive. I need to know how the Prairie output pulses are configured and timed and I am not sure how important the throttle position is with respect to the advance curve. They have info on CDI type also; AN4006/D. I will look at the Prairie Schematic tonight to see what I can find out. Looks like the programmer/debugger is around $300 and the emulator from $1450 and up.

Old 09-04-2002, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Nyroc the pictures are on the way and thanks for posting them. Prairie 633 I contracted with a manufactuer to make entirely new c.d.i units, I do not have the computer background to do this myself. There are writen in security features and the reason Kawasaki did this was to guarantee we could not easily change the settings. Lets say Suzuki for example came out with a faster quad than our Prairie 650, all Kawasaki would do on next years model is dial in a little more timing and raise the rev limiter just enough to beat the competition. I would like to talk to you more on this subject, please drop me an e-mail and I will discuss hooking you up with factory blue prints for the c.d.i
Bearman

Old 09-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

just throwing this out..
bits & peices from a yama royal star owner..(v-4 1300 cc)
original ignitor made by mitshibushi, stock rev limit 5500 rpm, total advance 28 degrees, speed sensor equipped that reads rpm & speed off the rear pinion speedo pickup..

Pro One used to make a power kit for this bike but it has been discontinued, it would not void the warranty, as it was made with v max cams, new mitshibushi ignitor that raised the rev limit to 8000, & advance curve would not fall off..individual K&n filters for the carbs...

since it has been relegated to dinosaur status(ROYAL STAR) Dyna came out with a ignition module that would fit..& the venture as well
for what it is worth, the service manual goes into pretty good detail about how the rev/speed limiter works..I'll see if I can find a link. I know that the v max guys (Terry Cambell) had this posted somewhere..

some may be useful, or it may not be..but I have the dyna on my royal star, I'd be happy to tell anyone how it is set up as far as rpm & advance curve on the dip switches..granted that this is how someone else got around it, the pro one box was like stock..so another idea may have to be found..

Don,
I wish you the best sucess with this project, & the exchange idea sounds good..
patiently waiting with the others..

Old 09-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hello guys, I've read your forums and hope that you get the cdi box thing resolved. I would be the first to buy one, regardless of price! I have a weight transfer sled and travel around Maine holding ATV pulls. The sled is exactly like the ones the pickups and modified tractors pull. I have been pulling for several years with different types of bikes, but none with the power of the kawasaki 650. We have pulled in Maine and in Canada, and have done really well most of the time. I'm always looking for more power and this certainly should give it to me. Right now I,m running an offset key to make up some of the difference. I was about to order a cdi controller from Haltech, but hope to buy one already setup. I was quoted $1145.oo for an e6k system, harness $150.00 and map sensor $64.00. Then I would need to spend dyno time and time on the shed just to get back to where we are now.

I know a lot of people that pull here in Maine who would buy one in a minute, so please continue to try tomake it work.

1bearman if I can of help in any way, let me know. I'm not an electronic expert, but maybe I can help getting things done in other ways.

02 prairie, dynojet, pitbull 2 tires, k&n, pipes, adj weights, rb hitch, Dial-a jet nitrous boost, engine work.

DRIVE HER LIKE SHE'S STOLDEN!

Old 09-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have any picks of this Beast you pull with.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

I'LL POST SOME PIC'S THIS WEEKEND, IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

SHOTGUN

DRIVE HER LIKE SHE'S STOLEN!

Quick Reply: CDI wiring question