Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Deer season around the corner!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New purchase for me: .270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum).

• 270 WSM cartridge is over ˝" shorter than the 270 Winchester.
• Muzzle velocity of 270 WSM with a 130 grain bullet, is 225 fps. faster than a comparable 270 Winchester 130 grain load.
• 270 WSM delivers 401 ft. lbs. more muzzle energy with a 130 grain load than comparable 270 Winchester load.
• Available in 130 grain Ballistic Silver Tip™, 140 grain Fail Safe® and 150 grain Power-Point®.

270 WSM 130 grains: Length = 2.860" Muzzle Velocity = 3,275 fps -9.02 3,096 ft. lbs. of energy

...should do nicely for medium to large game.

Chucky

Old 09-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Chuckybrown,

Glad to have a fellow Prairie 650 owner in this deer hunting thread. Check out my pics to see my 650 all decked out for hunting season.

I use a 7mm Remington Mag. Its a flat shooting rifle and awesome for taking deer out to 400 yards. Since we have the wide open plains and badlands, its fun to spot and shoot bedded deer at longer ranges.

We also do some high power rifle and slug hunting in MN. With the multi-zone tag there are zones for each. I did buy a .357 for morning stand sitting in MN.

Daryn

Old 09-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, shot placement is Number 1. The .270 is a good flat shooter and awesome for deer. The .308 is a sniper caliber of choice for military and police use. I would say that the .308 is ALMOST ballistically perfect. But for the same all around use with more ooomph for long range shooting of deer and larger game like elk, the 300 Remington Mag in my opinion is about the best. That powerful 30 cal bullet in a heavy 180 grain will maintain a lot of energy and be less apt to drift in cross wind.

For the average shooter the .308 is great. For the long range fanatics should go with the 300. As in the previous post of mine, I still shoot the 7mm but I recently put money down on my new Remington laminate stock 300 remington mag. I will also be putting on a Swarovski scope. My first choice would have been the Sako brand but Sako does not make a left hand bolt and Remington does.

Daryn

Old 09-06-2002, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Chief,

your right about several things there. The media does have a tendency to hide many of the facts related to issues relating to the outdoors. But there is also a lot of information to be gathered in regards to CWD and Mad Cow. I have not heard the rest of the story behind the 3 hunters in WI. I was under the assumption that they all died within a year of each other. Kind of odd though how they all had some sort of brain ailment. There seems to be a lot more cases of different dieases then there used to be. But that could be a case of we now have the technology to recognize them when we used to think it was something else before. Thanks for hte info.

Old 09-08-2002, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, ya'll, just curious: What the devil is "deer cocaine"? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Daryn

How do you like the camo coverings for the p650? How do the wear and clean up? How long have you kept them on. They look like the have a good tight fit.....would you it again?

Old 09-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Getting ready for deer season myself.

Bow season opens Oct. 5th - I bow hunt primarily on 70 acres that I own close to the house. I've got some food plots planted but we are not allowed to bait here in VA. Just purchased a camera yesterday that I'm setting up tonight to see whats lurking around in my food plots.

Muzzleloader season opens Nov. 4th. I'll hunt my property and probably spend a few days at the hunt club I'm a member of. We lease 8000 acres in the southeastern part of the state, mostly farms growing peanuts and soy beans.

Firearms season Nov. 18 - Jan 4th. All he11 breaks loose as we hunt with dogs here. The firearms are regulated by the county. All of the club leased land is shotgun only, rifles are allowed on my property.

Can't wait till next month.

Old 09-09-2002, 04:01 PM
RIP Dear Friend

FullThrottleChick Asked What the devil is "deer cocaine"?

You mean to tell me in the states you get the deer hooked on drugs.

"deer cocaine"?

At least the deer are high on life till the end.

Chet
VP KNOWSALOT FACILITY

Old 09-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Dash,

I certainly would buy the camo coverings again. The fit is tight and holds up well during transporation. Initial installation was easy too. Cleanup is great. Just let the mud dry in the sun and it flakes right off. Well worth the money. I bought the coverings direct from Kawasaki for $234. Like I said, I would do it again.

Daryn

Old 09-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

Deer "Caine" is essentially a mixture of calcium and salt mixed together that tickle the tastbuds of deer. They "crave" the mixture, if you will, because thier body needs these nutrients for antler development. Add the mixture of nature engineering the animal to forage for these nutrients to begin with, and man's added taste....and deer respond to it.

I can tell you, I have never seen deer that "CRAVE" this stuff. They respond to it much like a salt lick. They may lick at it a while, but eventually wander off, just like when they feed on grain or apples.

Chucky

Quick Reply: Deer season around the corner!!