Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Deer season around the corner!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay all,

Well started this thred to maybe kick off a good topic on early hunting tactics.

Down here this is the time of year were I get out and put some salt blocks out, scout the territory and cut some over brush for shooting lanes.

Was real interested in what you guys do to get your hunting areas prepped for the coming season.

I also hunt muzzle loader only. So this puts me at about october 15th for opening day. My son uses a shotgun or .243, this puts him at mid november for opening day.

Old 08-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

here in washington county kentuck you can use a shotgun with a slug for muzzleloading hunting.

I usally go out a day before and throw corn out, where i hunt you can throw corn out a day before because its so over populated.

later

Old 08-30-2002, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Here in Washington State it is illegal to bate deer anytime anywhere. No salt lics, apples, or corn. Just good ole fashion rattlin, gruntin, and stalkin. LOL

Old 08-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hey gaff,firearms opener for me is tommorow morning,bucks only until Sept 15th.Man am I happy

Old 08-30-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I understand the different baiting and wepon rules. As a boy up north we were not allowed to bait anything. Then when I moved to ohio they only allowed the use of shot guns or muzzle loaders. Hense my life long use of muzzle loaders.

I realy don't take the baiting to serious, although I have recently started setting out salt blocks to hopefully coats the deer to travel in certain patterns.

But baiting gets pretty bad. I have a company hunting trip in december every year where they have feeders and realy nice facillities. But to be honest if your not one of the first poeple out in the season the deer get realy spooked.

But another way poeple bait is with deer cocain. Just like in humans it becomes very addicting and they just keep coming back.

They even have a hunt with dogs season here, now you want to see some deer running, wow.

I still like the traditional still hunt. All the baiting and different tricks and methods allowed by some areas or states still don't real in the big boys. Getting a good clean kill is always fun, exspecially if my son gets it. But landing one of the big boys is what gets me out there.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

well put gaff.. well put...

Mike

Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Bow season is Sept1 here in North Dakota. We don't need to bait, just sit in a tree over a corn field and wait. We don't get to rifle hunt until November where its bitter cold, usually have some snow, but we get to chase em while they are in rut.

Daryn

Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

At least you boys can use a rifle!! Here in IN, like Gaff said about OH, you can only use shotgun w/slug or muzzleloader. You can also use a bow started 10/1. Been practicing!! During our 2 week firearm season you can use a muzzleloader, shotgun, pistol, or bow. We have 1 week of muzzleloader only. You can still use a bow it you like though. In fact you can use a bow ANYTIME during the season. Hell, this year is going to be tough for me though, no where to hunt, as of yet anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah, no baiting here whatsoever. You can however plant clover or alphalfa for a food source for them.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, generally here in PA, we start drinking a little more beer this time of year just to build up more of a tolerance for the upcoming rifle season that starts the monday after thanksgiving. Now, don't get all excited, I don't mean we hunt drunk, but it makes for better stories at camp in the evening.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've decided to not go out deer hunting this year until they get this CWD in check. I usually wuss out and take the deer in to have it processed. The bad thing about this is you don't get "your" animal back and without knowing where the deer was taken or the condition, I guess it's too much of a risk to take when I have kids who are eating the venison also. Part of the deciding factor for me was after the 3 guys who had a gathering in WI to share their hunting success all died from brain ailments similar to CWD. Ironic? I don't think so. But when I do go out, I use a Lone Eagle 7MM-08 in Southern MN. Thisis the only way to use a Hi-Power in Southern MN (handgun). But now that my area is getting developed more every year, I will be selling the LEP7MM and going back to a shotgun.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE HUNTING THIS YEAR.

Quick Reply: Deer season around the corner!!