Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BIRDMAN

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the factory manual for ANY bike is a must.
Find someone that knows the P-650, and how to work on 'em and take it there, you WILL NOT be sorry. The speed and power are AWESOME!
These clutch/belt problems are typical of an early preoduction machine/totally new machine. Try to have a little patience, you'll get it running like it should............

Old 09-16-2002, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BELT WAS ON BACKWARDS THE FIRST TIME. IT WILL SQUEAL ALOT IF IT IS. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. THERE IS AN ARROW ON THE BELT THAT SHOULD POINT TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE BIKE.

WE PULL OUR P650 ALL THE TIME ON OUR DRAG SLED. IT WEIGHTS ABOUT 6,000 LBS AND THE WEIGHT MOVES THE FARTHER YOU PULL. WE DON'T HAVE ANY BELT PROBLEMS AND THAT SHOULD PUT MORE STRESS ON THE BELT IN ONE OR TWO PULLS THAN YOU WOULD GET IN A YEAR.

JUST A GUESS, BUT I THINK YOUR BELT WAS ON BACKWARDS, WHICH MAKES YOUR BELT SQUEAL, THEN YOUR DEALER TOOK SHIMS OUT TO GIVE YOU MORE TENSION. WHEN THE BELT WAS INSTALL RIGHT, YOU HAD TO MUCH TENSION, WHICH WEARS YOUR BELT AND YOUR CLUTCHES. THIS ALSO FORCES YOU BELT HIGHER IN THE PRIMARY WHICH TRIPS YOUR SAFTY SWITCH. EVEN IF YOUR BELT WAS WORN, BIG TIME, THE TWO CLUTCHES WOULD MAKE UP FOR IT, YOU MIGHT LOSE SOME TOP END, BUT THAT'S ALL.

THERE IS NO BETTER SYSTEM THAN YOU HAVE, STICK WITH IT AND MAKE THEM FIX IT RIGHT.

02 P650, DYNO JET, DIAMOND G, THUNDER ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS, DIAL-A-JET WITH NITROUS BOOST, RB HITCH, PIT BULL ll TIRES, K&N, 13" WIDE RB RIMS, DIGATRON TACH, MORE.

SHOTGUN

DRIVE HER LIKE SHE'S STOLEN!

Old 09-16-2002, 02:39 PM
MDG
Range Rover

I put in the black spring and adjusted the belt last week and had to remove the shim to get it into spec. With no shims it measured about 1” deflection. It would squeal when in gear and not moving. Well I had read of others having the squeal so I didn’t think much of it, until I road it in the woods. I decided I would rather have a loose belt then listen to that. Yesterday I took it apart and measured the deflection, this time I used my fish scale to pull down on the belt instead of my finger. It was set at .6 inches. I added a shim and now it is right at .87 to .88 inches with no squeal.

Anyway I learned that 13 pounds is not that much force on the belt. You really need to use some kind of scale to apply the proper amount of force if you are going to get an accurate measurement. I bet allot of the problems posted about belts not lasting after the dealer works on them is because the mechanic is just pushing the belt down with his finger and not getting the belt at the proper deflection.

Old 09-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

mdg-- I'll have to get back in to the belt, mine squeals TOO MUCH. I'll use the fish scale this time. Guess my finger is not calibrated to 13lbs.!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2002, 05:15 PM
MDG
Range Rover

TRX450

I think my finger was off by about 20 lbs to get a 1 inch deflection.

If you have to readjust it, I found that standing an extension up on the frame next to the foot break spring and nesting it under the hole where the kaw clutch tool inserts (the hole that nyroc puts the extension into in the pics on his site) made tightening the driven sheave allot easier. Place it to the back of the hole so you don’t apply force to the wall of the hole. Nothing to hold but the torque wrench. Worked great.

Old 09-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Shotgun I noticed you have a nitrous set up on your Kawi I to have installed a system on mine. The questions I have for you are does the restricted rpm from the cdi hamper top end. I have found after 5000rpm the pressures created in the cylinder are exsplosive especially when the timeing decreases. Have you found this and what you have done to correct it. I have made a 6061 aircraft aluminum spacers with jets to atomize the nitrous. I have adapted a computer igniter sequence from a car so it only comes on during full throttle and shuts down after throttle release. I have acheived up to 50% nitrous with astounding results. I burned the rubber seals on my 28in Outlaws that contacted the rims. Any insights you would have would be appreciated. I pretty much do all my own modd as I gather you do also. I wish to enter in some mudd runs next year and with Diamond G's cdi, cams, and nitrous it should be fun. Drop me a line we can trade info take care have fun.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

ALLTOYS, THANKS FOR INQUIRING ABOUT MY SETUP. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A HECK OF A SETUP. I HAVE MY OWN DRAG SLED WHICH WE PULL IN MAINE AND IN CANADA. THE RULES SAY NO NITROUS OXIDE ALLOW, SO WE USE NITROUS PROPANE, WHICH I INJECT INTO THE CARBS THROUGH TWO DIAL-A-JET. THE NITROUS PROPANE GIVES THE CARBS EXTRA OXYGEN, JUST LIKE NITROUS OXIDE, BUT WITH LESS EFFECT. THIS SYSTEM IS USED ON DRAG SNOWBILES THAT RACE ON ICE. WE CONTROL OUR RPM'S WITH ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH WEIGHTS, MORE WEIGHT, LESS RPM'S, LESS WEIGHT, MORE RPM'S. WE ARE LOOKING FOR 6500 RPM'S WHICH IS WHERE OUR PEAK HORSEPOWER IS. YOU CAN ORDER THE NITROUS PROPANE AT YOUR LOCAL CAR PARTS STORE, PRICE ABOUT $12.00 PER PINT, 4 OZ. PER GAL TO START WITH, MIX WITH HIGH OCTANE FUEL OR ALC. THERE IS LITTLE OR NO RISK OF MELT DOWN.
ALSO WE USE SCREWS IN OUR RIMS, TO STOP SLIPAGE, ONE EVERY TWO INCHES.

AGAIN SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A NICE SYSTEM. IF WE GO TO THE MODIFIED CLASS, I'LL NEED TO TALK TO YOU. EMAIL ME AT SMITH@AINOP.COM IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. MY BIKE CAN BE SEEM ON NYROC SITE. PICTURES #48 AND #49, YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE DRAG WE PULL.
http://atv.dnsatias.com/index.cgi?vi...650&pic=48

good luck,post some pic's of your bike!

shotgun
Nothing pulls like a prairie!
DRIVE HER LIKE SHE'S STOLEN

02 P650

Old 09-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

SHOTGUN
I know this is not the same subject but I and I think others would like to know.

Am I understanding your statement right?

You can purchase nitros propane from an auto parts store, add it to some high octane gas, put it in the gas tank of your atv and get (some or most) of the benefits of nitros oxide without the risks.

If that is correct thats gotta be the best bang for your buck I`ve heard of in a while.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

EASTEREGG, WELL IT'S NOT THE SAME RESULTS, NITROUS OXIDE WILL GIVE YOU INSTANT HP. LOTS OF IT, TURN UP THE BOTTLE, MORE HORSEPOWER. WHAT THE NITROUSE PROPANE DOES IT AD OXYGEN TO YOUR FUEL. ITS LIKE ADDING EXTRA AIR FORCED INTO THE CARBS. IF YOU JUST AD IT TO YOUR GAS TANK, YOU'LL SEE A DIFFERENCE, YOU'LL GO AWAY FROM YOUR BUDDY, WHOM YOU USED TO BE EVEN WITH.

WHAT I AN DOING IS, I HAVE A SEPARATE SMALL TANK ON MY BIKE, (HIDDEN). HOLDS A FEW QUARTS OF NOTROUS PROPANE MIXED WITH FUEL WHICH IS DELIVERED TO THE CARB'S ON ACCELERATION THROUGH THE USE OF TWO DAIL-O-JET FROM THUNDER PRODUCTS. THESE ARE INSTALLED THROUGH THE OUTSIDE BOOTS OF THE CARB'S. WHAT THESE DO AS AN EXAMPLE IS IT WOULD BE LIKE IF YOU ARE WIDE OPEN AND HAD SOMEONE SQUIRTING ATONIZED FUEL AND EXTRA OXYGEN IN YOU CARB'S WITH A SPRAY BOTTLE, A FINE MIST. YOU ARE ADDING EXTRA OXYGEN WITH THE NITROUS PROPANE AND FUEL WITH THE DIAL-O-JET'S, THIS MIXTURE IS TAKEN INTO THE CARBS WITH THE AIR THAT'S GOING IN.

IT IS LIKE HAVING BIGGER CARBS,(MORE FUEL DELIVERY, WITH OVER SIZED JETS).
MY PRAIRIE WAS SO LEAN IT WOULN'T RUN WITH THE AIR FILTER OUT. SO THIS REALLY PERKED US UP. IT TOOK US FROM MIDDLE OF THE PACK IN PULLING, TO WINNING ALOT, (THIS AND OTHER TRICKS).

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO PASS YOUR BUDDY, THIS WILL HELP. IF YOUR BUYING THIS FOR A 20 HP BOOST IN POWER, SAVE YOUR MONEY, IT WON'T DO IT, IT MAKE A GOOD BIKE BETTER, THAT'S ALL.

I HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION. EMAIL SMITH@AINOP.COM IF NOT.

DRIVE HER LIKE SHE STOLEN!
SHOTGUN.

Old 09-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

SHOTGUN
Thanks for the info it sounds like cool stuff. Maybe I`ll do some more research this winter on it.