Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stock Tire Size vs. Aftermarket Size

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to the tire questions.....

I read on here once that when you go to an aftermarket tire, they may be smaller than OEM tires.

I am buying a set of 589 MS's...and my Kawi dealer knew nothing about the size difference. In fact, he only stocks the 25" tires. Am I going to lose ground clearance vs. the OEM tires? If so, should I ask my dealer to order the 26" tires?

Thanks!

Chucky

Old 09-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, not necessarily. Some are big, some are small. I think around here we measured the stockers as 24.3 inches? Depends on pressure, but I think we were all on just about stock pressure settings.

most tires are fairly close, with the majority being 1/4 to 1/2 short, but better than the dunflops. I think so, but I don't have a quality control database of tires to prove it.

Dirt devils are I think the most widely reported as being small throughout.

Bearclaws may be a little big on the 26 and larger.

25" mudrunners are quite a lot smaller, 24.25 or so. Better on the bigger sizes.

Besides, who knows, since someone last complained, maybe a tire manufacturer changed their belt winding tension or pattern and the tires we said were small are not so small?

Mounting a tire on a narrower rim than 75% of its width generally makes it taller. Also, just because a manufacturer lists the tire dimensions on their website, doesn't mean that is what you get. They are often wrong. I did not buy mudrunners once because of erroneous diameter data. However I am glad I didn't, I like bearclaws better. I also like the 589 balance of mud/vs dry better than mudrunners. Mudrunners aren't very good on dry, I have found, and better in mud than 589's.

I guess I typed a lot of stuff (as usual) without really answering your question. Yes, I think you should get 26" tire if you are concerned about clearance at all. You won't loose much pep or handling. Every little bit counts on clearance, since at some point the lowest quad scraped bwtween ruts in the mud, you don't want to be the lowest quad. 589's I believe are halfway between stock and aggressive for ride and weight. Therefore they won't rob nearly as much power as aggressive tires, nor will they ride as harsh i think, but you will feel the difference some. Honda rubicon owners that buy 589's have been known to go back to stock due to the power drain. The 650 has the power and better ride than hondas. Thanks, Kawasaki. Now you know why honda owners buy our dunlops from us (I'm not lying, I sold two sets on ebay this year, honda riders).

If you are concerened only about pep and dry performance you would want to get the shortes ones. I'm sure that is why maxxis makes their all tracs so short.