Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lubrication Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in an area that does not have a local Kawasaki shop, so I am forced to choose from 3 or 4 out of town dealers in our tri state area. When I went to pick up my new P-650 a few weeks ago, from a shop approx. 30 miles away, I attempted to buy some Kawasaki oil and filter for the first oil change. I was quite surprised when the manager of the parts department wouldn’t sell me any. He asked me, “What kind of oil do you run in your car?”, to which I replied, “Quaker State 10-W30”. He looked at me with a smug little smile and said, “There you go!”. He went on to explain to me that Quaker State made the oil for Kawasaki, and that if you looked real hard, you could even see their emblem on side of the container.

Well, I asked several riding buddies their opinion on lubrication and was not surprised to find that each was using the brand of oil offered by their respective manufacturers, although most admitted that this was primarily for their “peace of mind”.

When all else fails…., I looked in the manual and it recommends an oil having a “class SF/SG or class SH/SJ with an MA JASO rating”. In checking, I found that the SF/SG is regular petroleum base oil like Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. The SH/SJ is the rating of “Mobile 1” and probably all other synthetics.

QUESTION: Does anyone know what the “MA JASO” rating is all about? Also, I would appreciate any expert opinions on the use of synthetics in ATV’s.

Nearing the 10 hour point with my new Prairie, I again tried to obtain some oil from my dealer this time by phone. Not knowing who I was, this same individual told me that they didn’t stock Kawasaki Oil, and recommended that I go to a local auto parts store and buy some “Castrol”, because after all, they made the oil for Kawasaki, and that if I looked real close, I could find the Castrol logo on the side of the container.

If this butt brain had any credibility remaining, it was lost, when I finally did perform the first oil change (using Castrol ACTIVA) and found that the filter he had sold me was the wrong one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 12:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Myself I wouldn't be afraid to run the oils you quote in your motor.

This topic has been debated many times here.

Try doing a search on this subject using the search feature and decide for yourself.

I use the car oils and change often, have had no oil related problems.

I would use what they suggest during the warranty period though.

Chet
VP Knowsalot Facility

Old 09-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

You have already found that you need to use a special ATV/motorcycle oil. Now for the fun, have you found your Mobil 424 yet? Absolutely do not use differential oil in the rear differential!!! Only use Mobil 424, Kawa Chem rear differential and wet brake oil, or another wet brake fluid like from John Deere.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

JASO MA is a Japanese thing. It relates to wet clutch performance etc. I personally use Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50 in mine, but you can use what you like if it meets the specs. Valvoline has dino oils that meet JASO MA. Just pick one that you are comfy with and stick with it.

I noticed you have the HMF pipe, I am seriously planning on one, but sound is an issue some places I ride, HMF tells me it is not much louder than stock. What do you think?

PS. I would love to see a pic of your quad with the 26" wheels you have mentioned in your profile LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some Kawachem 10-40 and the bottle says "made by Motule for kawasaki" right on it.

Old 09-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

JLPIER01,

We're getting off the subject of the thread here a bit, but regarding the HMF Pipe: Yeah, they told me the same thing (that it wasn't much louder than stock; 99db vs 89db stock; what's that, less than 12% louder?) Anyway, it sure sounds a LOTlouder than that to me! Sounds almost "Harley-esque". (I hate to admit it, but I love it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) A buddy just had a PRO CURCUIT full system installed on his '02 650 and I believe the HMF is a little "throatier" sounding.

Old 09-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well Pup, sounds like you've had the typical dealer experience. Granted there are a handfull of educated dealers across the country, but they're hard to find.

Any good high quality oil will suffice, but I think you'll find a lot of us are using the synthetics. I, like jlpier01, am using the Mobil 1 Vtwin.
This oil was originaly formulated for use in air cooled engines, therefore must handle more drastic temp changes.

Any of the oils you mention will surely work just fine. I use what I use because of the extra peace of mind.

I also use Castrol in other equipment I own. Nothin wrong with that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Range Rover

Synthetic protects better, is tougher against high temperatures and last longer than regular oils. I use mobile 1 v-twin but have friends that use castrol syntec. Regular car oils will work without noticeable problems. As you say when you look in your manual it will specify the alternate classes class SF/SG or class SH/SJ. these are regular oils with friction modifiers.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the pipe info. I may just have to wait until I hear one in person first.

The main reasons I would spring for syn is
1. The thing runs pretty hot,
2, It only holds 2.05 qts, compared with the Kodiak that holds almost 4 and is wate cooled.
3, it is a $6,500 toy, what is and extra $10 a year for a little better oil?

Old 09-27-2002, 11:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend

<<

The main reasons I would spring for syn
3, it is a $6,500 toy, what is and extra $10 a year for a little better oil?
>>

very true.

Chet