Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Seen two Prairies at the local mud pit. Not good.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 01:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe me my friend - what you saw is not an inherent flaw with the P650. This IS one awesome, mud eating machine. I highly recommend.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

If their belt was slipping, then it was most likely out of adjustment(some come from the factory out of adjustment, including mine). That HAS been a prob for some 650's, the need to look the the deflection in their belt and re-shim accordingly.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

Does a improper belt deflection make a chirping noise as your pulling away from a start? If it does i might have this problem on my Dads 600 Grissly. Its been doing it right from the start and i cant find out what it is. I thought it might have been a bearing.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

It is most likely the belt. I have not had an Ultramatic transmission apart, If you don't have a service manual, then call the dealer, it is probably loose. No big deal.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

The slippage problem you saw after the bikes were buried in the mud hole was probably due to the drive housing being full of mud and water. This would make any thing slip when under a heavy load like pulling another bike. I've never had slippage but have had a squeal which went away after I removed the cover and cleaned all the dust and grime out of the belt area. I've never a squeal since.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

why come in here and tell us? tell those guys in the quest forum.

Old 10-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

<< The slippage problem you saw after the bikes were buried in the mud hole was probably due to the drive housing being full of mud and water. This would make any thing slip when under a heavy load >>

Not my forman, has no belt to slip![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Seriously, the 650 is a great bike and I would consider buying one if it wasn't automatic. I wouldn't want one of those newfangled gizmo's to give up on me like that!!

Old 10-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

The belt drives are actually very dependable. This is my 3rd belt drive bike over the last 7 years and am yet to have a minutes worth of trouble.

A foreman over a P650. That's the best one I've heard on this forum yet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]While you're shifting gears on that doggy foreman me and my 650 will be long gone down the trail waiting on you to catch up. Just kidding but not really.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Ok...I'm a Honda owner...and i know that the Bomb and the Kawi mentioned are both great bikes ...but i also believe that this post was intended to stir up crap...Mar tries to back his way out of his first post, saying he was onl trying to find information about the 650...BUT, in his original post he states....&quot;Im just wondering how there could be so many owners on this site backing up a bike that performed so poorly IMO&quot;...well Mar, perhaps these people were intelligent enough not to form an opinion of a bike on the one time they saw it perform....he also states..&quot;So they stall, Get stuck, and after we all got out we had to tow this guy back to the lodge&quot;....the word &quot;they&quot; implies to me that he means the all Prairie 650s..not just these 2....he even gets a dig at Polaris..&quot;Even the polaris made it thru with out stalling&quot;...if it ain't a dig, what is the need for the word &quot;even&quot;...and he only ALMOST got stuck.....&quot;The only reason I almost got stuck was by hitting all the holes dug by the Prarie 650s.&quot;...yeah sure...he says it was a nasty hole, lots of bikes could barely get through, yet he could creep in with a tow cable and creep out niftly avoiding the ruts made by those damn 650s....so i think the purpose of this post was to brag about his Bomb, not to find out about the Prairie...that's just my humble opinion...i've been wrong before....but i don't think i am this time...this kind of stuff belongs in the Bomb forum in my opinion, and no other.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

partsman can sniff a turd a mile away!!LOL

Quick Reply: Seen two Prairies at the local mud pit. Not good.