Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got p650 stuck in mudhole...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and had to get it winched out. No big deal right. Well when I got it back and cleaned it off I noticed the vertical crossmember that I had hooked my buddy's winch hook to was badly bent outwards. Word to the wise. Do not hook your buddy's winch hook to the front vertical (about 5 in. long) pieces that connects from your top rack to the front bumper rack. The 2 racks (top and front) are both tubular and can handle the stress of winching but the 2 small vertical pieces are flat and very thin steel and cannot handle any stress.

In case your wondering how a p650 ever got stuck, I have stock tires on and it was another p650 that winched me out. I did not have to go through the humiliating experience of having a honda or god forbid a polaris winch me out. That would have been unbearable.

Bob

Old 10-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have found that this little $10-$15 ATV strap works wonders for winching. I loop it around a strong point on the ATV or use it around a tree. It works awesome.

Recovery Strap

Specs:
· This heavy duty poly tow strap is rated at 5,000 lbs. tensile
strength.
· It has a loop at each end and is designed specifically for towing
ATVs.
· A zinc plated steel shackle is provided for easy and secure hook-ups.
· 12 feet in length
· Comes with a mesh storage bag

Old 10-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah boby, a lot of us beat our bumers and racks a bit. You need to get some tires so the mud holes are a little easier for ya.

You guys see that clevis on the end of Dextreme's strap? I bought one, and I cut a little off the ends so that it is just a "U" without hole in the end, and welded it to my winch mount plate. There is a fairly large unused area to the right (looking from front) of the fairlead. It looks great since it is right next to the winch cable, and is a good place to hook things onto.