Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P-650 plastic too brittle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-650 plastic too brittle

Beware 650 owners of the weak,brittle black plastic on your fenders. I broke mine within the first few hours of riding.
(Kawasaki made an error , I would hope they would make it more flexible like on my KLF 400.) Mine cracked right where
the screw fastener is, part was 12$ and easy to replace. So I ended up having to re-groom all of my trails as the
650 is so wide and has so much suspension movement going thru tight areas. Anyone else experiencing similiar problems
with their machines?

Old 10-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

I've had screw holes rip out of my plastic due to bulldozer riding but I have not had any plastic rip or crack.I do think the plastic is thin to save as much weight as possible. I put a progressive spring kit in mine and changed tires to get rid of the push in the front end. I no longer have a problem.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

How far do you have the adjusters up from the bottom? I am still experimenting with there level.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

The plastic is thin... my brother took my P650 for a spin and ran into the back of a Montero. He pushed in the front right side of the push bar and really bent my front right plastic. I was surprised when the plastic snapped back into shape with no visible crease marks from the bending. Maybe that plastic isn't too bad after all....

Old 10-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

That black plastic isn't worth a $hit! THAT is my only bitch about the bike. I love it, other than THAT problem. All four corners have something broken or ripped. I have 1K miles on mine.

Old 10-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

Less than 10 hours on mine, caught a little stump and ripped one of the bolt holes right out of the black plastic. Just how much weight could you possibly save. A truckload of plastic can't weight that much. I hope maier or someone else makes some replacements for the black plastic before long. Other than that, have no complaints. Just push the little lever, point the front end where you want to go, and hang for dear life.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: daniel
Less than 10 hours on mine, caught a little stump and ripped one of the bolt holes right out of the black plastic. Just how much weight could you possibly save. A truckload of plastic can't weight that much. I hope maier or someone else makes some replacements for the black plastic before long. Other than that, have no complaints. Just push the little lever, point the front end where you want to go, and hang for dear life.
Just wait till the black plastic starts pulling away from the rest, I can see daylight through mine now! Makes it look oh so sexy when you ride through a little mud.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any issues with it. I have rolled mine, and turned it on its side. Caught a stump, scraped all the way down a big embankment, and even hit a honda 450 (i TOLD him to push on the gas or I was going around or over him;-)

Every mishap that I have had, the plastic just pushed right back out. Sure some screws have pulled through at the bottom around the foot rests, but, heck, what do ya expect?

Old 10-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

I agree with conman. When I first got mine I thought it was reaaly cheap plastic. Then the first time I cut around a tree too tight I hit the rear fender and put a huge dent in it. I pushed it back out by hand and only ended up with minor scratches. If it would have been hard plastic it surely would have broken. I would like to see some aftermarket plastic in different colors though. I like my stuff a little different than the ordinary.

John

Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

KAW said in a press statment how the made the plastics thinner to save weight. They worked hard to get the weight to 600lb. IMO I would rather have a 602lb quad and not have cracked and faded plastic.

Quick Reply: P-650 plastic too brittle