Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Am I asking too much from my Mojave?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I asking too much from my Mojave?

I just got back from Dumont dunes ! Had a blast but my Mo seemed low on power.There is a hill called "competition hill". It's probly 600 feet high and pretty steep.

People race up and down it all night and day.So I naturally thought that I would get in line and race up it too.Well I got spanked!

Funny thing is that the start is on flat ground about 100 feet from the bottom of the dune.Say there is 10 bikes of various makes and models lined up to race.When we take off I can stay 3rd or 4th untill we start going up the hill,I mean I'm running with the z-400's and ex400s,250r's......untill we start up the hill.

Then everybody passes me! As soon as I hit the hill it feels like someone through out the anchor.Heck everyone has gone up to the top,then back to the bottom........and I'm still going up!

I even got passed by a golf cart with paddles!Then a girl on a stock Blaster!

My bike has a Supertrapp pipe,no other hop ups.I didn't re-jet....plug looked good.

Would drilling holes in the air box lid help?

Is there anything I can do besides increasing the displacement to make it pull the hills better?

I hear alot about the KLR black box,does it only delete the rev-limiter or does it also change the timing?

Am I expecting too much from a 250 4-stroke?Should I be happy that I got to the top of the hill even if it took all afternoon?

I did scream it for 2 days with no aparant damage.....guess thats good.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your air box and filter are killing you. Get a jet kit and a clamp on, $100 tops. This will give you a good bit more accelleration to keep you in the rev. The black box would be my next mod sense the mojave is rite in it's power when the limiter kicks in.

Do a search on motorcycle salvage and call all the yards for the KLR box. Also email mickey over at FST to see what he charges for the black box mod to your existing box.

cams, flow work and mill the head just a touch would be nice, but I don't think you want to do that, so....

With the clamp on and jet kit you will make it up alot quicker. with the black box mod even quicker.

Your not asking to much, you just never got rid of the factory restrictions yet.

Old 10-15-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Alright.I'll go measure the carb and find a clamp-on filter and remove the big ol disaster of an air intake.Will this make that much of a difference or just slightly noticible?What about jetting....where is a good place to start?

Old 10-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Chris,
It will make a big difference on accelleration but maybe just a couple MPH on top end.

Where to start, I have no idea being you have probably got a callifornia model.

On the Cally models the needle, down tube, choke plunger, pilot, main and a few other things are different than the rest of the states. Is that good or bad I have no idea.

The cally models come with a 140 main with 142 and 145 optional mains. I guess I would get both optional mains ($4.50 a piece) and go from there. Or buy a dynojet kit for $45 or so and they probably have the cally carb figured out as well.

Sorry I can't help you there, never had a cally model to play with.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I was wondering what the diff was between the Ca model and the 49 state one.You are correct I do have the Ca model.

I was trying to figure out what exactly was different once.I was on Kawi's webpage and found out that the cams are the same between the models....even the klr uses the same cams.Never thought of jetting....duh!

Old 10-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Every thing is the same except the carb and maybe the exhaust.

I'm not 100% sure I want to get rid of it but I have a couple 49 states mojave carbs. I'll stick one in the dip and get it all cleaned up if you want to try one out. I also have all the jetting to set one up for a pipe and clamp on. Decide what you want to do and if you think a 49 states carb may help let me know and I'll send you one to try out.

Not sure I want to get rid of it but if it is a big difference we can work something out.

I know in the mid 90's we had a couple cally FZR-1000's we had. They where very much down on the HP compared to the 49 states models. It took us forever to get them fixxed but in the end we ended up swopping out the carbs before we could move on. This particular case has nothing to do with the mojave but it is the last time I mest with cally models.

Old 10-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well thats mighty generous of ya.I'll mess with mine first,see what I can make happen.....if I cant make it better I'll keep you in mind.thx