Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HELP!! embarassed p650 rider.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! embarassed p650 rider.

While elk hunting today with my buddies I could not get my p650 or p360 to start right off. My other two friends had a kodiak 400 and a rancher 450. All of our bikes where bought at the same time this summer and have been on the same trails. All bikes have been rejetted. The temperature was 5 degrees F. the kodiak and rancher fired right up, the p360 took 2 or 3 minutes of running the starter to get it to start. The p650 took at least 5 minutes to start. I had to pump the throttle for thirty seconds or so before the bike would start. It did not matter what position the choke was at. The starter on the p650 doesn't sound as loud or as strong as the p360 or the other guys bikes. I run premium fuel, could this be part of the problem? I'm afraid my starter won't last long with the amount of use it takes to start the bike.

thanks for any input.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

ur just wasting money with premium fuel
ive never heard of ppl having problems starting it
sometimes i leave the choke in on accident and it kills it
after all it was 5 degrees, sometimes you dont even need to give it gas when starting, just a lil choke
are u sure u tried everything?

Old 10-16-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Its never taken me that long to get my sixfitty to start up but it does take some work, I've just accepted it as a fact of life with the big V-Twin and deal with it. I rode with a group of several hundred this past weekend and occasionally it would take my machine a few seconds to start up and the group was moving before I got in gear, however the roost display I gave everyone each time I had to play catch up made up for the slow starts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

I am sure that you tried this, but if it is a cold engine and cold outside, don't give it any gas at all. Pull the choke all the way forward. After is starts, I push the choke about half way back and give it a little throttle. With the throttle still going slightly, push the choke closed and it should be great. This has worked for me everytime so far, but I am sure that a lot has to do with how it is jetted, etc.

Old 10-16-2002, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine won't even try to start with full choke. If I give it half and no throttle, It will start when it's cold. When it does I can't touch the throttle right away, it has to run for about thirty seconds before I can give it the gas. Makes a god aweful sound running like that too, goes away as soon as I goose the throttle. Once it is warm, no problem.

Old 10-16-2002, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

Someone posted earlier this year about priming it. I have not needed it or even located it. I didn't even see any thing on it that looked like a primer. If any one has seen it let me know.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

idaho, these carbs don't have an accelerator pump like a car does, so any pumping of the throttle you do is negating the choke and making it take forever to start.

It seems every quad starts different though. Heavy throttle or pumping is a solution for a flooded quad, not for one that may be lean due to 5 degrees F.

Try not pumping the gas, at all, or at most, give it 1/8 throttle if it begins to fire. Going beyond that is just fighting it.

FYI, my 650 fires right up in the cold. That is not to say that my 650 is not a little tricky, it is just that I know "the trick" for mine and get it started nice and fast.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

No problem getting mine started. I open the throttle 1/8, pull choke full on, starts right up. We haven't had any 5 deg. weather here, yet.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

I wish it would rain. My favorite mud hole is dry as a bone. My favorite swamp has crack lines all over where there was 6 to 12 inches of water at times.

My 650 starts just like yours does, TRX. Needs just a little teeny throttle. Any more or less and it fights me.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

nyroc---- DO I HAVE MUD FOR YOU!!!! You'll have to drive 7hr(?) to get here, but WNF is in PRIME shape! We are going Fri thru Sun of this week.
U R welcome to come along.
We are also having the 3rd annual: RubiconBob's Turkey ride(or ride of the turkeys??!!??) at Hat/McCoy on 11/30/02, you are invited.

Quick Reply: HELP!! embarassed p650 rider.