Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Black springs PBR vs. EPI

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black springs PBR vs. EPI

I know most of you have the EPI driven spring, but I also know that a few of you have the Penland black spring. Which should I get, and why?

Old 10-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

one and the same.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the Penland, paid $5 more for it on recommendations of others. EPI makes the springs for Penland and some say the Penland springs are a little better. I asked Mike about them but as he doesn't run an aftermarket spring himself (due to his class), all he could offer was second hand info that several customers stated they like the feel of the PBR spring better. I also think 1BEARMAN reccomends the Penland version. I don't know if they are different but hey, it's only five bucks and some say its better.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

I ordered the EPI then heard about the Penland. Bearman says his is little different and better. I sent back the EPI and have a black and red coming from Penland. I called him up (real nice guy) and he really convinced me to get the red spring also. I figure I can alway take it out later. Does anyone have the red spring In?

Old 10-19-2002, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

I took Bearmans advice and got the Penland spring. He said its the one he uses, so that was good enough for me.

Old 10-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thumpin650
I ordered the EPI then heard about the Penland. Bearman says his is little different and better. I sent back the EPI and have a black and red coming from Penland. I called him up (real nice guy) and he really convinced me to get the red spring also. I figure I can alway take it out later. Does anyone have the red spring In?

Thumpin, do you do much rock crawling or technical riding? I totally forgot to even ask Mike what the optimum clutching for my riding would be. I am kinda worried that I may end up stopped on a steep hill and the machine will jerk too hard when I pull back out, you know what would happen then.

I figure I'll need to call back on Tuesday and ask a few questions.

Old 10-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I've looked on the net and can't find the penland black spring. Can someone tell me where to go to get one.

thanks

Old 10-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

Yes, I do rock crawl etc and don't want to lose any driveability. I figured that I'd order it and put it in, taking out the primary is supposed to be easy so no big deal. Penland said that "you have to try it, and don't just ride it up and down the street then take it out, put a few hours on it." He said that with practice you can get smooth take-offs. He also said that the tranny is set up to go to 6000 RPM no matter what speed your at as soon as you nail the throttle. He said the red spring brings the RPMs to 6200 for more pulling power for big tires (I only have 26's). The motor kicks in at 2200 RPM instead of 1200 on the bottom. I'd really like to hear from people who have tried the red spring, I'm still skeptical.

Old 10-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trailburner
I've looked on the net and can't find the penland black spring. Can someone tell me where to go to get one.

thanks
You get them directly from Mike. His phone number is (706)746-2812, its the only way to get one that I know of.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thumpin...I have both springs and they are great. I do not do much rock crawling but when I do I just have to be a little softer getting on the throttle. The red spring will give you an edge when you are lined up with your buddies and you want to just launch off of the line! It is a great feeling to pull away from stock 650's and 660's! Also, when going up steep grades that require a lot of HP, you will have more pulling power. Maybe it is becasuse of the higher tranny RPM, I do not know but it does make a difference. If I did a lot of rock crawling, I would take it out. But it is so easy to take out, I could just pull it out and when finished with the rocks, put it back in!

Quick Reply: Black springs PBR vs. EPI