Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

friend bought a grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friend bought a grizzly

I bought my p650 about a month ago, and I have absolutely loved it. I was either going to get the Grizzly, or the Prairie, but went the Prairie for the following reasons. 1. V-Twin 2. yellow lever (don't have to stop to lock differential) 3. Dealer was willing to deal on price of Prairie. 4. I heard that Grizzly gas tank is in the way constantly

My ONLY regret is the lack of GC/IRS.

To be honest, I never even rode the grizzly before my purchase.

When we go riding, which is going to be faster (both stock).
Will my machine be better than his at anything?
I already have conceded the smoother ride and ground clearance, but I love my sporty feel. The p650 is VERY responsive.

Anyway,

just a few questions

Old 11-19-2002, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

I think you should read some of the shootouts to answer your questions. The magazines shootouts state that the 650 shine in off camber situations, acceleration, handling, braking and engine braking. The 660 is a great quad and a serious contender of the 650, so don't be surprised or even upset when it does thing equally well or even some things better. Everything is a trade off when it comes to the big quads.

Old 11-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have recently been put into the same situation as you when my bro bought a griz. If you are bone stock down to the tires you will be faster. Griz's dont powerslide good at all. prairies can do power turns nonstop. The prairie jumps better. The prairie is more water tight then the griz. We found that out our first trip out when he swamped it going thru the same hole i just did. Off cambers are better on the prairie. The griz has a posi limiter and a reverse limiter with no over ride wich makes mudding a pain. The griz vibrates quite a bit. The griz's nut inserts on its plastic belt housing strip out easy. The griz's skids tear easy on rocks.

The griz is slightly better thru severely wooped out trails due to the IRS. The griz has better ride for long trail rides even though i prefer the sporty feel of the prairie. If you get rid of the limiters on the griz and put on big mud tires the griz will do slightly better then the prairie in the deep stuff. the griz has a reserve in the gas tank so if your like me and are having so much fun that you forget to watch your gas gauge you can still make it home. The griz has a better belt/clutch system besides the housing.

This is what i have found IMHO to be the goods and bads of both. After riding both extensivley i would still want nothing other then my prairie. Some may find some qualities i like of the prairie bad but thats all i could com up with that the griz does better to me.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

The Grizzly is perfect for guys who have big beer bellys cus they can rest em right on the fuel tank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (ok..sorry...I know my comment wasn't constructive...it was just for a little humor.)

Old 11-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

Conman, I realize that you have answered this question before, but I was unable to find the post.. What do you use to keep your plastic so shiny??? I recently bought a 2003 Green P650 and I want to keep it looking nice..

Old 11-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Howdy 600and...

I have used a variety of things, but I have settled on armor all. I spray it on a cloth and rub it all over except for the seat and grips. I did the seat once and every time I turned a corner, I felt like one of those sport quad racers, I was slippin' all around

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

A lot of us are using Turtlewax Formula 2001. It has outshined everything I have tried. Other atv'ers got me hooked on it.

Formula 2001