Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Top End?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End?

I have a 01 Lakota Sport and last weekend I was riding and I noticed when I hit 5th gear it was preety flat. I know by moving up a tooth on the front sprocket it will give me a little more in the top end,but is there anything else I can do? I love 1st tru 3rd gear,but it gets kind of weak starting in 4th gear then when I hit 5th its realy weak. Anybody have any suggestions? Already have a pipe,air filter and jet kit. What else can I do to increase my top end ? I'm not looking for something realy major. Just something to give it a little push![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Top End?

Try a 10-lb bottle of "NOS" ,lol, just kiddin.Well it looks to me that your in the same spot I was a couple of months ago.I installed K&N jet kit/air filter,13T sprocket,Supertrapp I.D.S2 exhuast with header pipe,etc.I like the way it performs now (with all the add ons) then before(stock). You do feal the difference but there gets a time when you want more from it.Ive spoken to several lakota owners on this chat forum and others about this topic of more speed(top end) and almost all of them suggest to bore the engine out or just buy a bigger quad.For one im not a real "tool person" when it comes to opening engines.But, im not about to sale my 2002 Kawasaki Lakota Sport just to finance another,I do like the new KFX-700V though.I guess ill stay with my "little blue mule" for the moment being.Dont get me wrong i do like my quad but at the end if it comes to those last two options,i might sale it and buy a bigger quad?

Old 11-28-2002, 05:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Top End?

13T front sprocket makes it pull 5th nicely, it's only 6.99. a clamp on filter helps. A 34mm carb helps too.

Old 11-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Top End?

Does a clamp on air filter go on the outside of the air box? Where can I get one at,and whats the cost? I'm going to order the 13t sprocket from rockymountain,but I'm gonna wait till I get more cash so I can order my front bumper too. I want to order something else so I'm not paying more for shipping than my order is! I was also thinking of going to a 20 or 21 tire. Will the smaller tire affect the clearence on the bottom to much? What kind of tire do you suggest. I do mostly just trail riding,but its hard rocky terrain mixed with some preety hairy mudd pits. I want something that will take care of both. Thanks for the imput![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]