Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 (wheelie/power)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 (wheelie/power)

I have a stock p650 (except for K&N filter). If I sit in my normal riding position, it will not wheelie for me, but if I sit back a foot or so, it will lift up easily. My top speed at 6000 ft is only 50 mph. This relates to the recent Dirt Wheels article that says that a radar gun showed 50 being the fastest their test machine could go. I don't know how you guys are getting in the 60mph range (stock).

My question is this. Does everyone have a little lag right when you start hitting the throttle? My machine starts to move, but it takes about 2 or 3 seconds for the power to really come on (this is when it will begin to wheelie).

p.s.

I am posting this message as a new topic also, so that I will get more responses.

Old 12-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Yep mine has that momentary lag too.
I found that out last weekend right after I did my first oil change.
I pulled it out in the street and nailed the gas in low range.
For a second I didnt think it was going to pull the wheels but then the power hit and OMG!, It wheeled so hard that it almost fliped over backward before I could get my thumb off the throttle. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Andy G

Old 12-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

mine does the exact same thing. i adjusted my pilot screws on the carbs and it seemed to help a little. like i said in another post i haven't had time to really ride it since i have done that but as of now it seemed to help a little. try that and see. turn them out counter clockwise about 1/4 turn at a time. i dont know why but on certain days i can get mine up to 65 mph but most of the time it is about 60 mph or so. i have to be in low range to pop a wheelie on mine. mine is green too, maybe the red ones are sportier and can pop wheelies easier! ha ha ha

Old 12-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

dirt Wheels top speed in there last issue was on a 1/4 strip you can't get up to top speed in only 1/4 mile at 6000 ft. even with a K&N filter you are rich on your main jet's that's why you only get 50 mph the dealer has a service manual with high altitude jetting, stock is 138front 142 rear, I would get a 134 jet from the dealer and put it in the front carb and take the 138 out of the front and put it in the rear, it will run better.....

Old 12-01-2002, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

I ride at 6400 feet and up. Just sitting in the normal riding position it will not wheelie. No way no how. Tried it on asphalt, pulls the wheels about six inches off the ground for about 30 feet and leaves the little ghost tracks on the road that a tire that is right on the edge of spinning leaves. Hard to find level road around here. The levelest road I can find mine will top out before a 1/4 mile has passed and this seems to be about 56. The road to my house is dirt with about a 2% grade and I can do 54 up the hill and about 59-60 down the hill. It does seem to be sensitive to temp. Colder it is the faster it will run. I have a lag but it isn't a stumble. I think it's absolutely normal for any NA engine to not make much horsepower until you've got it making some RPM. I don't have tach but I would guess that the power is not really coming on until about 2700rpm.

Old 12-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

I can get my month old 03 that has a little over 300 miles and about 25 hours on it to go a little over 60 and I can wheelie easily if I stand up(using high gear) and go about 6-9 mph and then gun it and pull back or u can just put ur feet back b/ the rack and seat and gun it and that always works [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2002, 12:30 AM
fru
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Yall are dealing with the wonderfull ignition retard that kawaski built into the cdi.
Your ignition is retarded until you go over something like 5 mph. Hopefully the nice guys at diamond g will come through with thier replacement cdi before to long. Supposedly kawasaki did this so they could stay competitive for a few years without a bunch of engine mods all they have to do is change the black box, all this talk about doing it for saftey reasons is just marketing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2002, 03:24 AM
Trailblazer

I just happen to have a Radar gun in my patrol car and I know for a fact that mine will go 62mph @ 5320 feet. My bike is completely stock.

Old 12-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Freak,

we are at about the same elevation. What do you have your carbs jetted at? Obviously, I wouldn't know if mine goes that fast (I just misplaced my patrol car) LOL! Anyway, let me know about your jets.

thanks

Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey freak how do you like those holeshots. Did they cost you a arm and a leg. How do they hadle fast trail riding, hardpack, gravel and mud. AI am seriously thinking about getting some. Thanks

Quick Reply: p650 (wheelie/power)