Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

cracked engine case - help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked engine case - help

I've got a Lakota. There's a small chunk out of the bottom of the engine case. I've semi-sealed it temporarily with a high heat engine gasket caulk, and it has worked pretty well. I've ridden it for years like this, and have only gotten some light seepage through the caulk. What's the long term solution to something like this? Can the case be welded? Is there some other kind of caulk or material that will set up hard that can be used? It's not a crack, but a chunk about the size of a pea, right along the natural split in the case on the bottom of the engine. It really looks like it was there from day one - a flaw in the mold the case was cast from. I actually noticed it a long time ago, but had never really seen oil coming out of it and had put the caulk on there for peace of mind. When I look through this chunk, it's like there's another part of the case inside, sort of like it's a double-walled case. Anyway, looking for a fix, and would appreciate any comments to give me some direction. Thanks

Old 12-10-2002, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

I think I would use a short machine screw, slightly smaller than the hole, coat it and the edges of the hole liberally with JB Weld, and stick or screw it into the hole. This after cleaning the area real well.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

cuty a little chunk of sheet metal and tack weld it over the hole or jb weld it