Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Devils vs. Bearclaws

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Devils vs. Bearclaws

I am going to put 26" DD's or Claws on the back of my 650 ( I'm going to leave the Dunlops on the front for now ). I do mostly hardpack trail riding, snow covered, and a little mud once in a while. What would be more suitable? What about price? handling? punctures? ride? etc. As you can see I'm having trouble making a decision. What do you think? Thanks!!!

Old 12-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Dirt Devils on my Polaris and I love them. As soon as the Prairie needs new tires, I will put them on it too.

Old 12-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

They both have good tread. Devils are extremely small, you would need a much larger size (like 27 or 28) to equal a 26" bearclaw as far as ride height or diameter goes. This is what I have heard.

Claws are a whole lot lighter than devils. I emailed the manufacturer and they told me the weight of a 26x9-12 was 19lbs. I say this because they are listed as heavy in so many location on the web, but they aren't. a guy on this forum weighed his and they were light.

Claws are a highly favored all around tread. Good choice for snow too. More mud, go with Mud lites. No mud, try Holeshot atr.

Old 12-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Bearclaws. Best bang for your buck. A really all around good tire.

Old 12-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S:
I have the 26-12-12 BearClaws on the *** of mine...fronts are not in yet. These tires are awesome...in snow and on the trail. I haven't tried them in any real mud yet. I think the tread pattern on the BearClaw is cooler looking as well.

ROB

Old 12-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you ever looked at titan 489xt's and thought of them as a choice?out of the two dirt d look kooler but bearclaws are bettr in mud and all around

Old 12-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I've got Bear Claws on my 360...their awesome!

Old 12-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Squire, be sure to take a look at a tire first person before you buy. I almost bought the DD, but when I saw their 26" right beside a 25" bearclaw, there was no comparison. The bearclaw was actually still taller (both were unmounted) and the BC's look wicked cool, especially when you go with the 12" wide rears, they grip great. I went with the 26" BC's and they are almost as tall as the 28" DD.

By the way, they are a heck of alot cheaper also. You won't regret them for sure, especially if you have never driven a 650 with anything better than the stockers.

oh, if you wanna see them installed, click on my link below.

Old 12-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Conman, that is a mighty fine box on the rear rack!! My buddy put one like it on the back rack of his Rubicon only a little wider and taller. He can put 2-2 1/2 gallon gas containers in it. Only thing is that on the trails or breaking trails, it catches on everything. It has saved his a$$ on more than one occasion though when he has rolled his bike. It looks funny though as it is huge!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yep swampdonkey, I like the green box, got it from my uncle sam from back in the day. It does have a tendency to catch on things, but oh well, better than having nothing at all.

I was out with a friend of mine the other day (he rides a warrior) and he said "Gee, sure wish we had a couple of soda's" I reached in the box and pulled out a pair of cold pepski's. Later in the same ride, he was remarking how hungry he was, I pulled out a few candy bars and various other snacks. Near the end of the day, he remarked how low one of his front tires were, I told him to pull it closer, I reached in the box, pulled out my compressor, plugged it in to the 12v and pumped him back up, as I was doing that, I looked around and he was looking inside, I asked him if he needed anything, he said, "nope, just want to see if you had any extra girls in there..."

I love my quad and my box, I enjoy being out in the woods, but I also like to pack along quite a bit of civilization with me also.