Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Using AUTO filters on p650 is bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using AUTO filters on p650 is bad!!

Lightman,

Where is the "Valve" that you are referring to in your last post. If you look at the Prairie Manual you will find that the pressure relief valve is internal to the engine. There is no valve in the filter! The purpose of a pressure relief valve in a pressurized oil lubrication system is to buypass the filter incase of a plugged filter. This prevents the engine from being starved of oil and seizing up. If you are putting a filter in the machine that has it's own relief valve than you are risking that neither one will function properly and you could dammage the engine. Just my 2cents.

ED

Old 01-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

There IS a valve in the oil filter. It is an anti-drain back valve, to keep the oil filter "primed"/full after shut down. BTW-- My dealer was out of the KAW filters when I went in for the 1st service, they put a HONDA filter on it! THAT is what got me to thinking about filter interchange. I found a list of interchanges on the net, put out by a petro-engineer(retired) that was in to bikes. He did the research and testing on his own! After reading his reports/data, I decided to take the chance, and use his first choice of filters--Purolater-PURE ONE premium filter. Application: Most Early Mazda RX-7, and Mazda 1.6ltr. piston engines. They've worked just fine for 4 mo. now.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Unlike my Yamaha factory filter that cost 11.99, my Kawi dealer sells me filters for $5. As long as I can get them for that price I will buy it.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Same here running factory filter. 5 buck I don't mind.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

well now...

to throw my .02 in the pile I see it from a diffrent angle...
this comes from having 2 yamaha star bikes that were bought in '99 and '00..wet clutch transmissions..
one uses a paper filter insert inside the case..yamaha, emgo, fram, pretty much the same except price...

the v 4 uses a spin on filter, yomama is about 13 bux..same filter fits a LOT of bikes, from honda, kawasaki, road star, royal star, venture, polaris atv, grizzly, raptor, automotive application is 1.6 L mazda...go figure...

9 months ago when I started hanging out around here, I could not find any filter cross refrence, oil discussion, jetting size comparisons..so I posted a few links that I knew from being on motorcycle forums from 2 years..

as far as the dino/synth oil question goes, well that is really your choice what you prefer to run..I have my favorites just like everyone else, and those came to me from what I used in my street bike that cost TWICE as much as the quad and has a wet clutch.. same goes for filter..

the biggest diffrence I have noticed in the oem motorcycle filters, (yomama- since that is what I know the best) is the inset on the bottom of the filter...I can use a deep inset filter on the quad, and the bike, (like a napa gold 1358) or I can use a mazda purolator on the quad, the diffrence is that the yomama's have a large nut that screws on the stem of the oil supply tube, the kaw quad does not. so it has some sealing diffrences.

some of the quality in the construction of the filters is not the best, specificially I have not been happy with the ones made in south africa, the stamping was kind of cheezy, & I wouldn't run it..but it was a 3$ filter..

yes, I change filters with each oil change, some do, some don't., that's ok..I run longer intervals on oil change than what the book calls for on the quad..but my use is diffrent..no water, no dust, hardpack only, running full synth oil & a clean olied foam air filter..so I'm not going to change it every 3 months.. the specs for the oil in the quad are a LOT more relaxed than the bike..seems like you could run it on most anything..

I run about 4K miles on the bike, but the manual says that I can go 6K on the bike..but that is me...before I change it..the bike is harder on the oil than the quad is..(and takes a better grade of oil)

now the way I figure it is this..if the specs cross over to a fitment, size, filtering ability, valve, etc..(pretty close, every one is going to be a little diffrent, but put it in general context) and have a fitness for a particular use..then I can run them & not have any warranty issues..the same thing for automobiles..if you have a ford & put a wix filter on it, then you are NOT voiding warranty..same thing goes for oil..if the specs generally cross over give or take a little for viscosity, then it is equavalent..

for the real **** guys, I'll go back & pull the threads if I REALLY need to..the wix 1358 (or napa, or carquest--same filter) has twice the filtering media than the stock filters..I've torn them apart..now it is not a real savings as they are about 9 bux, but it is a better filter IMHO..

that is what I run on the bike..
the quad gets a purolator..same general specs, but has a shallow inset..for sealing area..
I've been happy with this..both get full synth oil..but about 4bux a quart..

now the conclusion to this tirade is..do I really save any money?....not really, but it is more convient for me..

Old 01-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer won't EVEN come close to $5.00! Around here, the going price is $11.00-$13.00! What's even weirder, they'll sell me the Kaw-Chem Diff. oil(rear) for $4.95 QT!!!!
Monte SS, I we ride again this season, I may send you money, and have you get me some of those $5.00 OEM KAW filters! I'll take a 6-pack. LOL

Old 01-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about sending the money I will just bring them and you can pay me then.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

MonteSS-- Thanks, I'll take you up on your offer, when the time comes!

Old 01-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

my dealer is 8.95 on kaw filters. Mobil 1 and amsoil filters are the two best filters available, aside from oem. They filter smaller particles with higher efficiency than any of the fram, purolator, oem, etc filters. K&N oil filters fit somewhere in between, better than the auto parts brand(aside from m1) and not quite as good as m1 or amsoil. However, the mobil1 is an automotive filter, and the amsoil is a motorcycle specific filter, although they do make an auto filter of the same size threading etc. To all the guys running auto filters, doesn't this make you wonder, that amsoil makes one for motorcycles specifically? It doesn't cost any more than the auto one... The tech at amsoil explained they're set up for the oil systems of bikes, in relation to flow. pressure, etc. once again, why run something for a car when there's something out there designed for your atv?

The prairie 650 takes the amsoil filter SMF-103. I plan on running these. Got my amsoil 0w-40 last night in the mail, yay~!

Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

lol trx450, my dealer wants $9.99 a qrt for the rear diff/brake oil. I bought a 5 gal bucket of Mobil 424 oil for $30 this summer.

trx450 how old are you and where do you live? Might have some good new for you.

Quick Reply: Using AUTO filters on p650 is bad!!