Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Charging 650 rear spring with nitrogen???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging 650 rear spring with nitrogen???

There is a valve on the reservoir of the rear shock on the 650. After 2200 some odd kms I am finding that my rear shock does not rebound back all the way back sometimes when I get off.
Has anyone put more of a charge in the reservoir with some nitrogen or maby even air yet?
I have adjusted the spring to be a bit tighter but this is at the cost of a harsher ride.
Can you put a higher charge in the reservoir?

Old 01-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

You can take your rear shock in to have it recharged and revalved to adapt it to your style of riding. I had to do this after I bent the rod in my rear shock.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you bent the rod didnt that require a replacement shock? Are you saying that the rear shock on the 650 can be rebuilt?

Old 01-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the rear shock can be totally rebuilt and you have options to which way it can be built. I had to put on a cable from my swing axle to the frame because of to much torque, I over torqued it and pulled the shaft out of the shock body and bent it at the same time.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

I dont really think my shock is damaged, so do you think I would gain anything from putting a higher charge of nitro in it as that seems like the most simple fix.
Perhaps I could trouble you to explain what revalving does also...
Man you must be putting out some serious ponies to rip the rod right out of the shock body!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Woudl i be able to get thsi done to my mojave?

Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, putting more nitrogen in the shock won't make the machine sit any higher. Sure, a nitrogen charged shock will try to extend itself to maximum stroke when not under a load, but doesn't have enough force to carry much weight. The pressurized nitrogen simply keeps the oil from foaming up when the shock is working hard. Don't try to put in air instead; the nitrogen is under high pressure and will blow out if you press an air chuck to the nitrogen filler valve. If the stiffer spring doesn't bring your ride height back, make sure the swingarm bearings or shock mounting bolts and bushings aren't seized up.
Alltoys: who rebuilt your shock?

Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Novakaw650

I took my shock into the dealer and they sent to whom ever all it took was a week so it must have been someone in Edmonton. They did a great jop, revalved it and made it a little longer for more travel and a larger resevoir. Still cheaper than a new shock!!

Old 01-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I would follow alltoys lead and take the shock to a dealer or a shop that does shock work, a shock can have over 200 psi inside, you don't want to be messing with that. Also,nitrogen is perfectly dry and inert, meaning it has no contaminants or water in it, so it won't corrode the insides of the shock. Air has a lot of contaminants in it, along with water, so filling the shock with air would damage it over time. Even if you had a source of nitrogen, filling the shock without the proper tools could end up with you holding a burst shock body, and the shaft sticking out of your forehead !!!!

Old 01-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

OUCH!

Quick Reply: Charging 650 rear spring with nitrogen???