Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Spring compressor tool, black spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring compressor tool, black spring

I'll bet you guys didn't think it was possible to have yet another post on the "Black" spring. Well it is, I've done some searches and I've donwloaded the destructions from Nyroc's site but I've got a couple questions.

I want to know what parts I need to build the spring compressor. What size cap, diameter and lenth of bolt, anything else I should know? On the Nyroc site under "Driven spring removal and compressor tool" there is only a picture are there more details elswhere?? I'd like to get the spring compressor built before I start on the project, since I don't own a portable band saw I'll be cutting the cap with a hacksaw [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Is there anywhere else online to buy the Black spring? The EPI site has given me fatal errors under secondary springs all day.

I'm hoping I won't need to remove shims. My belt never has squeaked and it pulls a little when idleing so I'm hoping the belt is within specs.

I don't have an impact wrench (or compressor for that matter) and I don't want to buy a pully holder so I think I'll try using an extension or block of somthing ala Nyroc's tips. Has anyone had sucess with that method? My other option is to remove the cover putt down (about a block) to a neighbors and then, I assume, push the beast back home (kind of reminds me of my Polaris owning days just thinking about it).

Thanks for your help. Next is a snorkel!

Old 01-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

WE just put the black spring in 2 P650s. I can't comment on Nyrocs tool because I bought the one from Kawasaki. I can tell you however that you'll never get it done without a spring compressor like the Kawi part number or Nyrocs. With it the change is a snap. Everyone talks about using an air wrench to remove the nut on the driven pulley. We found it actually not bad with a large socket and breaker bar. You do have to be sure and have a tool like Kawis to keep the pulley from turning. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

The threaded rod is 12 inches.The pipe cap is 3 inches. Get a plastic {PVC} cap because you'll never cut a metal one with a hacksaw,plus it works just as well. Also get a couple big washers and nuts to fit the rod.

I wedged an extention under my pullie to loosen it and it worked fine.

Andy G

Old 01-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Well, being that I just made my spring compressor tool, it is fresh on my mind.. So here's the lowdown..

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow, it's in the shed right now and don't feel like going outside to get it.

I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a " threaded rod ". It was 1/2" size by 3 foot. The only size they had available. It was $1.77 for the rod. I then purchased two 1/2" nuts and washers. I then purchased a 2" PVC Pipe Cap.

I then brought all that home. I used a hacksaw to cut the threaded rod down to about 16 inches or so. I then drilled a 1/2" hole through the center of the PVC cap and made sure it fit snug down the rod. I then used a Rotozip saw to cut my pie shape in it. It was very easy and only took a few seconds to do.

To put it together... this is what you do...

If you messed up the threads on one end and the nut won't go on (this happened to me) screw the nut on from the other end.. Then slide a washer down on top of that nut. Next, slide the PVC cap down.

Now you have one side of it complete. Once you remove your driven pulley.. slide the rod through the pulley and then put a washer and nut on the other end... Then use a wrench and tighten the nut down with the PVC cap and it will compress the pulley...

Pretty simple and easy to understand once you have the parts in front of you.. Just keep looking at the picture, you'll see how it works.

Old 01-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, I'm glad to know that PVC will work. I was really dreading cutting a steel cap.

Just to make sure before a make a "Home Depot" run. What diameter on the all-thread? 1/2" seems pretty big is that what I want?

Old 01-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure what size mine is but its about the size of my finger...lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Andy

Old 01-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Chainman, 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch redi-rod will do the trick. As for removing the nut that holds on your driven clutch, if you want to spend a couple of bucks on a tool, buy yourself a 1/2 inch electric impact gun. I suggest this only if you do a lot of your own wrenching as they are not cheap (not really expensive either).

I think you can get a spring through Penland Racing??? Not sure though. I don't know what his website is. A little help here guys?

Old 01-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

just like mastrblastr said... 1/2" or 5/8" is what you want.. I know it'll seem really big when you look at it.. but that's what you want.. I'm certain of it.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Either one will work fine.. I chose 1/2" because I already had a 3/8" drill bit.. I just rounded the hole out a little bit and the 1/2" rod fit right through. Just saved me from paying $4 for a drill bit I'd only use once.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I done about the same thing as everyone else here except used a 3/16'' thick plate 1'' wide and about 4'' long instead of the pipe cap, there was plenty of room on the sides to get the clip in and out.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I compress mine with a hydraulic shop press.

Quick Reply: Spring compressor tool, black spring