Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Winter Riding on the Awesome P650!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Riding on the Awesome P650!

HI ALL:
It's been awhile since I really spent time on the forums. I read alot and figured I would give you guy's something to read about. Well I finally have my 26" bearclaws and got to try them in the snow... on a real ride! I went out a few nights with my buddies( some on Ski-Doo's and 3 of us on quads...1 grizz 600, Pol500 H.O. and me on my Kawi). I was worried that the ski-doo's would leave us to just putt along by ourselves. But to my amazement we hung with them on the tight trails, with lots of whoops! In the open ,they could walk away, but on the trails ( which were hard-packed ) we were right there. We had an awesome ride, the trails were better than in summer as the rocks,stumps,ruts and mud were not a factor. Fast and smooth floating along the trails. Fasted I went on a snow covered road was 75kph and then it was too scary ,as it's a little slippery. The Bear-Claws hook-up wicked in snow...as a thumb full of throttle would propel me off moguls in fine style! Even in 2wd the bike roared through everything I pointed at! The fun factor of riding in snow can't be topped, as long as you don't go off the trails where getting stuck is a sure thing. I got stuck once riding over a wet bog and broke through the ice. I got off and backed out and walked along the side of her till I got over the ice. The weight of the machine itself wouldn't break through thankfully. The Pol500 got stuck several times as it's weight seemed to affect this more-so than the Goodyear Rawhides did. The Grizz 600 with 26" Gators did well in the snow as well. I now know that I don't have to go get a Ski-doo to have fun in the winter. Speaking of fun...go get a plow for you bike! I had a 60" plow custom made, and I'm using my winch to lift it. It angles left and right ,and has a shock on it , to tip forward when you dig into something solid. Plowing the drive way is excellent fun and man do this bike do it with Real Gusto!!! I will post some pics ( In my sig) of me plowing, the next snowfall we get , as well as take a video on a digtal cam. Have fun!

ROB

Old 01-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with you kawirob. Theres nothing like wide open throttle on the trails in the winter. I just went riding last weekend on the lake. It had about 3-4in of hard pacl snow. I would get her hauling about 60mph and cramp her side ways. I could get a 12ft high roost about 40ft long. It was a blast. Its one good thing about riding up north. You dont get bored of the same riding year round. You get high speed roostin in the winter and lots of mud and logs and hills etc in the summer. Life is grand!

Old 01-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Ya the snow can be fun The Mudlites just roost it . The guys now make me break all the trails. Have you pulled out any snowmobils yet? They hate it.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a blast in the snow on my 650 and my wife's 300 does pretty well too! One question though, on a mix of loose and packed snow, what tire pressure works best? I searched and found lots about mud and dirt and sand, but nothing on snow. I have the stock Dunlops on both machines and I really don't care to hear anymore about how bad they are. When they wear out I'll get new ones that I'm sure will be better. That said, on these tires is less pressure for more float better or more pressure for more clearance preferred? It seemed the only times I got stuck in the snow were due to getting dug in and high sided on the frame.

Thanks for all the great information from so many of you on this board!

Old 01-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

chaosinmt,

How do the mudlites do in the snow? much better then the stockers? I'm looking in to new tiers and mudlites are on the list. I love snow riding but hate how the stockers grip.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Guy's:
I have my Bear Claws at 2psi right now...that seems to work fine. I am still experimenting with pressure and will post the best results I find.

ROB

Old 01-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

We finally got our first snow of the season last night! I can't wait to go play!

I have 27" Gators, do you all think I'll need to adjust the pressure down on them? I normally run about 4 to 5 #.

Old 01-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I run my tire pressure normal unless i am on an ice trail. Then the lower pressure helps. I dont have to worry about getting stuck as we havent had enough to even worry about it yet.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

that's right mtecate, it sure is fun roosting up here in the Wisconsin winters, 'eh? except that we dont have much snow yet, but when we get some, we'll keep the atv's out, and bring out the sleds!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

I had a blast the first couple of snowstorms this year about 3 to 6 inches of packed snow and ATR tires . This thing ripped. rooster tails flying everywhere, blowing doughnuts and covering my kids with snow. Well we had a couple of storms that have dropped about a foot of powdery snow. The riding wasn't have as much fun. It took a lot of effort to get the 650 moving and keep it moving. The ATR's as with all tires have their strengths and weaknesses. Deep powdery snow is definitely a weakness. Maybe time for chains

Quick Reply: Winter Riding on the Awesome P650!