Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I`m an idiot........but resourceful

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I`m an idiot........but resourceful

Was riding through the snow in my yard this evening (2 ft deep I might add) with my daughter sitting in front of me and the Prairie suddenly die`s after about 10 minutes of riding. It`s dark, I can`t see and it won`t start. All the lights work but you push the button and nothing. Tried it in neutral, in gear with the brake on nothing. Now I`m POed it has less than 1 mile on it and I`m not leaving it in my backyard overnight. So I go get the Scrambler 500 and my 8 yr old son to hopefully tow it back to the garage.

I was hoping it would do it, if it didn`t I would have been forced to leave it. Put my son on it feet about 8 inches above the floor boards. He says I can`t turn the handle bars. I tell him don`t worry it`ll get easier once your moving (I hope). Hook up the tow rope and start to pull it moves slowly until I hit the incline (yard is terraced) then it digs down through the grass for about 2 feet and stops. I go get another rope to get the Scram on level ground and try again slowly moving now. We finally make it to the garage I push it in. Put the heater on it to melt the snow off and I`ll see whats wrong in about an hour.

Guess what was wrong

The F!@#$%^&* KILL SWITCH was OFF ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] My daughter must have hit it and I never checked.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

HAHAHAHA, thats funny. Glad it was something simple though. I was riding through a stream with my feet up on the front fenders, I hit a real deep spot and my P650 shut off. I was by myself and all I could think about was leaving the the bike there in the water, then I realized I hit the key with my boot. What a relief !

Old 01-21-2003, 11:06 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I have done that before on my Kawasaki Triple in the late seventies.

No electric start on the 500, so I kicked till I was blue in the face.

I don't know what made me look, but the emergency handlebar switch had been flipped.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

I hate it when that happens![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

aww heck dont feel bad. we americans are all 'resourceful idiots' ask any other country in the world.
it put us on top where we are, and we're not afraid to admit mistakes, unlike other societies.
good story, by the way, it's happened to all of us at least once, eh?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

LOL Been there, done that!!!!!!
If you have a no start again, make VERY SURE that the ignition switch is turned FULLY (CW )"ON". Some of these switches will turn the dash board lights on, but won't energize the starter! Mine does this, so does Nyroc's(I think).

Old 01-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

trx450

Thanks for the tip.

I`m glad to see everyone`s enjoying my stipidity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I never ever use the kill switch always the key so I never think about it.

The part I keep kicking myself for is I tore the heck out of my lawn for nothing and I`m selling the house in the spring. Guess what I`ll be doing as soon as the ground is soft again. But is was fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man dont feel bad....

Last week I was leaving the woods where I had been hunting and stoped to check out a possible new hunting spot. When i got back on my P650 it wouldnt start. The first things I checked was the key and the kill switch. It still wouldnt start.
It was god aweful cold that day and it was 3 miles back to my truck.

After standing there for about 10 minutes cussing, it hit me like a ton of bricks......
It was in gear and I hadnt pulled the brake in.

I felt like a moron...a cold ,happy moron. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Andy

Old 01-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

partsman2--- You have a P.M.

Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, its either that kill switch that gets me, or the other day I backed it off the truck and drove for less than a minute when it died, I spent 10 or 15 minutes fooling with it before I realized I forgot to turn on the fuel switch. DOPE!

Quick Reply: I`m an idiot........but resourceful